Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 08-May-2005, 13:24
Mille

Mood: Up For It!
Silverstone Results.....

Spent Friday testing and trying to get to grips with the circuit. Really struggled on first session out to get any reference points dialled in and just rode around with that horrible 'I haven't got a clue where I am on this track and I'm dog slow' feeling.

The place is relatively featureless and the coned off sections of the international circuit are very distracting at first. Also surprising is how bumpy it is in places and the state of the tarmac join where you exit the intnl onto the national circuit.

First session out best lap time 1m 16. Not good.

By the third session I was starting to get to grips with it (sort of) and had got times down to 1m 12.

Went out after lunch, decided I was only going to go slower with a bit of tiredness setting in so knocked it on the head for the day.

Woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of the rain absolutely hammering on the roof of the caravan - oh joy!

Thankfully by morning it had stopped but morning practice was one of those lovely half dry half wet affairs - my relative lack of experience really shows in these conditions as I am not sure how much grip I have and didn't really fancy finding out!

Race One: Fourth on Grid, got a decent start off the line and maintained position through the first corner, ran at a reasonable pace behind the leading pack for a couple of laps and then missed a gear at the back of the circuit driving onto the main straight, got overtaken by two bikes immeadiately and it all went a bit Pete Tong thereafter, I was a bit slack at the back of the circuit and got overtaken by two others on the final two laps. Result Ninth.

Race Two: Ninth on Grid, again not a bad drag off the line but got a bit boxed in on the first corner and didn't get into the groove until the second lap took a few places and lost a few places. Result Eleventh.

Lap times in both races 1m 10's. Considering how much I had struggled with the circuit I was happy with the progress with my times but dissapointed to be so far adrift of the race winners 1m 7.5 time as although I hadn't seen Darley before I still managed to get within half a second of the winning pace by the end of the weekend.

My corner speed seemed to be quick enough, but I just wasn't getting the gas on early enough or hard enough.

Overall a bit disappointed with my performance, even though there were a few 'guest' appearances by a few of the MRO boys on some fairly serious kit I still came away feeling I could have done better. No excuses with the bike it went and handled superbly, I just didn't really get to grips with it.

It was really good to see Bradders who had ridden a considerable distance to give some support and Kev whose own take on things is posted elsewhere - I hope the tea was of suitable standard!

I've done a bit of basic maths and think that I am still third in the championship (although this is more as a consequence of the very fast N. Reed's DNF in race two than my own performance).

Catch up soon.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit