Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 05-Mar-2004, 14:40
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

WSB + Pirelli...whats the difference???

Two recent articles I've read dont seem to sit too well with me regarding the change to 'control' tyres in WSB.

First was Colin Wrights comment that it inst cheaper to move to Pirellis and that infact it would cost his team up to £20,000 MORE than if they stayed with Dunlop.

Second - this weeks comment that Pirelli actually produced a tyre almost specifically for Foggy Petronas to help reduce the chatter on the bike ??? Eh ???

Dosn't this go against the principal of having 'everyone' on the same tyres!

Dont get me wrong - I'd love to see CW on the podium every race but this does not seem quite right somehow.

I just wonder how much Pirelli payed for the 'priviledge' of suppling the tyres.

Frank
Old 05-Mar-2004, 15:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Frank, the reason it would have cost GSE money is because Dunlop was a major sponsor of their team and hence didn't pay for the tyres. Like everyone else, they would have to pay for the Pirellis.

Pirelli can produce any tyre they care to as long as it's available to every team. The tyres produces to suit the FP1 were available to all teams.

To me it's not the tyres that are any issue for WSBK. I actually think it's good for the series. The real issue is a lack of factory involvement and that has little to do with tyres. Just look at WSS, plenty of factory involvement there.

According to recent reports, it's not MotoGP that may be WSBK's biggest worry. It's the British superbike series. Dorna, who run MotoGP, is apparently looking at taking the British Supers internationl.
Old 05-Mar-2004, 15:38
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Good points felix...I certainly hadnt heard the last one about BS going international <glup>

hope nothing happens before our Croft round !!!!

Frank
Old 05-Mar-2004, 16:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Spot on Felix, as to the answer to the post initial question its far to early to tell, lap times were influenced by conditions, a lot to do with the race been held several weeks earlier than normal. Also the fastest rider from practice failed to complete enough laps, which in turn saves the others having to up their pace (win at the slowest speed possible).
Looking forward to the next round to see how things develope
Old 05-Mar-2004, 16:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I saw one of the Italian privateers moaning in an interview about the fact that the deal with Pirelli means you don't actually own the tyres. He says it costs him more because he can't sell part worn tyres on.

Neil Hodgson had a bit of a dig on the beeb saying that lap times were about three seconds a lap slower towards the end of the race at valencia this year compared to last. He also made the point that the fastest riders are still at the front and the slow coaches are still at the back. Introducing a control tyre has no impact whatsoever on the riders level of skill was the gist of it.

There are loads of issues with control tyres in motorsport at world championship level. I personally don't think its made much difference. Control tyres are OK for one make championships but not really at world level. Some say the WSB is the Ducati cup anyway!!

Ray
Old 11-Mar-2004, 18:49
Mille

Mood: In The
not sure how long the pirelli deal is for, but I know the manufacturers now look at BSB as more important than WSB. And now Dorna are going to be running BSB. Still enjoyed thw WSB last week though.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit