Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jun-2003, 10:55

Polishing Carbon Fibre

Has anyone had any success polishing out scratches in CF, the gel coat on one of my heel plates is quite badly marked from my boot.
It's a QB non pre preg type BTW.
Dion
Old 12-Jun-2003, 11:34
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I'm guessing your heel plates will be lacquered not a gel coat ???

Depending on how deep they are you might get away with Meguires scratch-x it's for cars, but works on the lacquer coat.

Or what you could try is maybe some WD40 if they're deeply scored, just to hide the scratches a bit more, not perfect by any means, but who's going to see it anyway.
Old 12-Jun-2003, 21:31

They may be lacquered I've no idea - how can I tell?
I have tried a few things like WD40, but so far the best has been Pledge suprisingly enough.
I'll try the Meguires scratch-x but I think they are probably too deep.
Guess I may have to live with it, or buy some new pre preg ones.
Old 13-Jun-2003, 09:20
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Someone mentioned using black boot polish a month or so ago. Worked for me, gives a real good shine aswell.
Old 16-Jun-2003, 17:17
Bevel Head

Andy,

That was me that recomended using black boot polish on carbon fibre. I found that using car polish left white spots where there are any flaws in the finish. I then went over the carbon with black boot polish and it fills the small flaws with polish, so you cant see them. I just need to get my bike back from the dealers now so I can try it again! Hopefully back on the road this weekend, but she's got to be run in again!!

Jeremy
Old 17-Jun-2003, 13:28
Montjuic

I've worn right through the lacqer coating on my DP one, my trip from Switz to and from IOM saw to that.

Can you get touch up paint for the gold striping around the rear number board? as I unfortunately chipped it with my boot in the Channel tunnel - Annoying
Old 17-Jun-2003, 13:31
Montjuic

PS

Who says you cant tour on a 998S, the ride back through England and France was great, mid-range torque ment little changing and lots of blasting along the empty french D roads
Old 17-Jun-2003, 18:11

Mood: Mellow but missing Turkiye
...great to hear that Swiss. Just bought 748SPS and intend to do İstanbul-London return. Just love the Greek mountains !!

Any tips for long distance with a Duc ? Normally do it with a BMW !!!!
Old 17-Jun-2003, 22:26
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
C/F

Try using that coloured car wax thats sold to hide small scratches etc on cars, it works a trat cos its sposed to actually fill the blemish with the polish!
Old 18-Jun-2003, 09:12
Montjuic

Istan

A few tips, take a tank bag, good for resting your chest on, good earplugs cut the wind noise and take nsaids - non steroidal anti-inflamatories (Paracetomol or ibruprofen). Seriously I tend to get aches in the shoulders after a few hours, take a dose of both and it really stops the uncomfortableness.

I have a 14T front sproket to lower the gearing and I found it was perfect for A and B road blasting. I managed about 145 miles until the red light which was about the right time to get off and stretch.

Finally, a good tip that I didn't follow is to fit a sport touring rear tire, a Bridgestone BT020 rather than a BT 010 or 012, this will reduce the squaring of the tire becuase it is dual compound with a harder compound in the middle.

Rob

PS fit some loud pipes (I have Akrapovic) to entertain the villages as you pass through - I'm thoughtful like that