Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2004, 20:05
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Smelly bike

Went out for a thrash on the T8 to Yarmouth White Swan a week or two ago and a couple of my mates following me complained of a smell of fuel from my bike.So I took it to my service guy to investigate and found the wrong sparkplugs(NGK "j somethings" should have fitted a S*&%ki)Fitted correct NGK platinum plugs and a new HT lead for the rear cylinder and all seemed ok,and the bike showed a slight improvement in general running.Went for another ride Sunday after returning from WDW2004 and the smell seems to be back,we`ve done a plug chop and all seems "biscuit brown" and the running and starting of the bike is good,with plenty of power and no flat spots or hesitation.
The only other odd thing I`ve noticed is that one exhaust gets hotter than the other,I find this strange as both pipes collect in the crucifix under the bike!
Can anyone throw any light on this?
Old 24-May-2004, 22:58

Mood: older but wiser!
I had a similar problem, when the guys behind me said their eyes were watering with the fuel burn from the bike, they couldn't get past me through the corners!!! I resolved mine with adjusting the fuel mixture screw adjuster on the side of the ECU (behind the rubber grommet). Don't adjust this screw unless you can use a four gas analyser in a garage (used for MOT emmisions testing). Is the exhaust a little sooty at the end pipes? Has the exhaust or airbox/filter been modded? These can effect the mixture, so too can a faulty or poorly adjusted sensor for fuel mapping, so check them first with a volt/resistance meter (using the guidance from the workshop manual). If they all check OK then go for the fuel mix screw.
If you dont know if yours has been adjusted then this is what you do: first, find a four gas analyser, used for testing emmissions gasses at the tailpipe of a car. get the bike at normal operating temp and put the tester in one of the pipes. Stock setting for emmision is 1.5% CO. Thats for both pipes/cyl. For a race bike,4% or even 6% are sometimes used. But for a street bike somewhere between 1.5% and 3.0% is best. If you dont use a gas analysere to adjust this setting youll NEVER get it right. I dont care what anyone else here says, you wont! Find a car shop or a bike shop that has this devise and ask if you can use it. If you have to pay an hours labour rate to do so its worth it! Remember, you're shooting in the dark if you dont know whats coming out of them pipes! Hope this helps
Old 24-May-2004, 23:42
Big Twin

Termi`s,airbox lid modified and a different chip but I don`t know which one.
Old 30-May-2004, 11:20
Big Twin

Stuck the bike on a four gas analyser yesterday and it was between 6 and 7 %!Been watching the fuel consumption and it`s been about 42-45mpg on the road,but drops into the low thirtys when on track.Going to have a full set-up at the weekend.