Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Sep-2004, 15:29

Question

I am new to Ducati ownership and this message board.

I have a 1999 748 Bip and on my last run on the bike a strange thing happened to the rear sprocket carrier - cush drive thing.
One of the rubber cush drive things seems to have seperated off the center bolt and moved out and has been rubbing on the chain adjuster (ali swarf everywhere).
Is this normal and is it repair by replacement or rectifacation?
Old 27-Sep-2004, 15:34
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Cush Drives

Hi there 66,

It's a well known and documented problem - try doing a search on 'cush drives' or 'rear hub' and all will be revealed.
Cheers

Giles
Old 27-Sep-2004, 15:42
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
66, suggest that you don't ride the bike till this is rectified. As Clippy says it's a well known and documented problem. The favoured way to sort it out for once and for all seems to be to fit a quick release sprocket carrier that holds the cush drives captive - unlikely the original equipment. I know that Nelly at Cornerspeed has them in stock and will fit it for you at the cost of about an hours labour I believe. But whatever you decide, don't ride the bike till it's fixed cos it could conceivably lock up your back wheel which would be mildly entertaining.

Cornerspeed (Nelly) - 01623 758877
Old 27-Sep-2004, 23:13
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ive got a new 'mk2' sprocket flange with the spacer which will cure this problem...£75...they are about £110 new I think.

Cheers
Nat
Old 27-Sep-2004, 23:42
Big Twin

thought the new flange only sorted the circlip wear issue, not the cush drives backing out?
Old 28-Sep-2004, 11:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You can stop it happening by dot punching the back of the sprocket in three or four places around each cush drive. Get the dots right up to the edge of the bore. This'll indent the bore so the outer sleeve of the cush' cant come through.
You'll need to replace the cush drives, but if the sprocket is OK then keep it until it's worn out. You could then think of a Renthal or similar type carrier.
Providing the wear isn't too great on the hub, you'll be OK. Clean it up when you remove the sprocket carrier.
If you've worn it through to a point where the castellations have all but disappeared and you can't get a C-Spanner on them to adjust the chain you'll need to replace the hub.
Old 28-Sep-2004, 14:38

Thanks for all the info so far.
I also have some sticking links on the chain so I was looking to replace it (It has no split link though), so I was going to ask what make of chain and sprockets and tooth combination would you guys recomend? and can it tie in with new cush drives of the non popping out variety.
Old 28-Sep-2004, 14:58
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
66, you don't say what area you're in but Neil at Cornerspeed is in Nottinghamshire so if you're within reasonable distance its worth travelling, I happily travel about 70 miles.

If you're nowhere near someone else in the country will reccommend a suitable alternative who'll do a good job without ripping you off, or supply chain sprockets/cush drive if req.

By the way are you two thirds of the devil or just the offspring with that name

Welcome to the board, its a mine of information as well as the odd bit of mickey take.
Old 28-Sep-2004, 15:10

You could be right in saying i,m two thirds of the devil !

I live in Woking Surrey, and as I said new to the Ducati game-(they defenetly have there own style of engineering ?)

I like to think that I am a compedent mechanic as I work as race car mechanic for Mclaren although this years performance seems to be a bit iffy.

I know nothing so keep sending me your opinions and info.

Old 28-Sep-2004, 15:23
Big Twin

Chain and sprockets are a personal thing...but many here have been swayed by the range of Tsubaki chains now available, including me. I know they are recommended by both Mike Davies and Nelly from this board. Give either of them a ring for the best prices.

Loads of other info about this...do a search using the facility at the top left of the screen.

[Edited on 28-9-2004 by Harv748]