Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-May-2003, 14:33
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Ever tried bump starting a 916 ??

Bugger this, now i have the non charging bike. stopped for fuel and it would start. got 2 big blokes to give us a push, left a 20ft black mark on the road where it locked solid in second gear. Anyway got it going and sprinted home with the lights off.
Back at home, battery is as flat as a fart, so charged it, went out and it flattened it again.
Anway, its a new type rectifier and the battery is holding a charge ok, so its either a duff starter motor or solenoid, or its just not taking a charge as it should. Am i correct in thinking in riding with the low beam on is ok ? and should charge the same as riding without lights ?
Also when going through towns it was missing every now and again under 3k, and almost trying to stall on tickover esp with the lights on.

Any pointers would be great as i am sick of trying to use this bike as i would with any other bike, yet it seems 916's when they get to 12k fall apart and cost a small fortune, and after 2k in 3 months it seems to think i have a pot of gold to fix the damn thing.

Cheers all

Paul
Old 27-May-2003, 14:38
Mille

Mood: Ambivalent
You say the battery is holding charge, is that whilst running? If not you should check that you're getting around 13.6v across the battery with the engine running.

My '97 748 suddenly stopped charging when the plastic plug connector between alternator & rectifier burnt out & melted (see my post on the old board for pics).

Just my two pennies worth
Old 27-May-2003, 20:09
Ducati Corse

As mentioned above,i have also had the two alternator output wires burn out.Renewed the connectors wth no problem.Rectifier not needed.
Old 28-May-2003, 14:31
500SD

Thanks all. i will investigate and repair in good time.
am going to rely on the trusty NSR250 MC28 in the meantime - never lets me down (until one day i know it will go pop in a rather large spectacular fashion)
Old 29-May-2003, 11:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Tried and failed

Tried a few times to bump start a 996, just locks the rear wheel. The only way was to use jump leads if the battery wasn't up to the job. No use though if the charging system has packed up as the fuel pump will eventually stop.

Ray
Old 29-May-2003, 12:51
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Also tried and failed, both 996 and ST4S-which is a 996 in drag.
Hey CRM, you can't blow up a 2 stroke-you can however melt one-just as spectacular.

John
Old 29-May-2003, 14:22

Mood: for lurve
It must be possible to bump start em, surely?

Isn't that the way that they start the race bikes. Okay not by pushing them and hopping on, but with the use of a jockey wheel????
Old 29-May-2003, 14:29
Big Twin

Yeah but that spins the wheel to well over 60 mph! Gonna be tricky getting someone to push at that speed methinks!
Old 29-May-2003, 15:13
Ducati Corse

I was sitting outside the local bike shop one sunny sunday afternoon when some bloke and his mrs on a Foggy rep had starting problems. This tiny girl was tryining to bump start the thing with no luck so two of us gave them a hand. After two trips up and down the car park it eventually started with much backfiring! Bloody hard work though.

Paul.
Old 29-May-2003, 20:14
500SD

Well guys, it looks like the battery is toast.
Had a datatool system 3 fitted a few weeks ago, and although the bike is used daily nearenough it sits at around 11.4 volts, put the optimate on for a day and its upto 12.6, check it 2 hours later and we are back to around 11.6
Once running even with the lights on, it puts out about 13.6 volts at 1500 rpm
Tells me the yuasa battery is not long for this world. **** thats yet another £50 taking the grand total upto ******* oh my god i need to lie down - wheres my asprin.