Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Sep-2003, 11:22
Mille

Mood: Mellow Yellow
Hub Grinder

Top tip guys, check your cush drives when you check your chain. If they come out they will grind your hub assembly down and then start on your swinging arm. Any sign of metal swarf on your back wheel check immediately!

My hub assembly has been ground down to next to nothing and is very expensive to replace, £230 + vat. Add to that new cush drive, sundries and labour and we are into £420 ish.

Another tell tale sign is when you try to adjust your chain there is next to nothing for the c spanner to get a hold of.
Old 24-Sep-2003, 13:30
Mille

Mood: Ambivalent
Or check the back wheel, everytime you use it, for aluminium swarf - that's what alerted me when it happened to mine in France this year. Luckily I have enough meat left on it for the C spanner to slot into.

Where are you in Southampton Jim? did you go to Popham?
Old 24-Sep-2003, 17:32
Mille

Mood: Mellow Yellow
Hi Nick,

Didn't go to Popham, that was the day I found the problem! Had to take monday off to get it over to Snell's. Pain to get back from too. Train to Woking, then Southampton and finally to Swanwick before a 15 minute walk to Whiteley.

I don't live there as much as visit at weekends. I am Forces and family live there. I tend to ride out to Alton and back on a sunday from time to time and stop off at The Little Thief at West Meon.

I
Old 24-Sep-2003, 18:22
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Ouch,

A bit off thread I know but another source of filings on your rear wheel could be rear brake disk bolts backing out and rubbbing away the alloy hanger that the caliper bolts onto, as did happen on mine earlier this year after fitting the rear wavey.
Old 24-Sep-2003, 18:31
Mille

Mood: Ambivalent
Guido - thanks for the tip

Jim - I live about 5 mins from you in Locks Heath, maybe meet up sometime?