Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2009, 12:05

Metzeler Racetec or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa

hi new on here and new to ducati can you please tell me witch tyres would be better suited on a 749s to do 4 days track time at almeria
out of these Metzeler Racetec or Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa
thanks
phil
Old 08-Sep-2009, 16:16
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I race on Racetec's and have no complaints about them whatsoever - excellent tyres. I am not sure how quick you are so, you might not get the life you are looking for. I get approximate 30 laps out of a set at most. YMMV.

They need careful management with warmers and you need to keep an eye on the number of heat cycles you put them through..normally recommended 4-6. If you're wanting 4 days out of them then you might be better off with some sticky road tyres such as Pilot Power 2CTs which, IMO, are more than enough for most people for trackday use.
Old 08-Sep-2009, 17:54
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
agree with above. if it's hot and you are fast, a set won't last 4 days. medium heat and a decent rider and you will still struggle although not impossible if you are a novice group rider.

No real difference between the two tyres you suggest, but they are both soft tyres and give superb grip and if you are fast will wear on the edges, but for road use will possibly go square.

I would go with either but take a spare rear with me (rears last a lot longer, maybe 2:1 or 3:1), or at least order it from the tyre guy out there so you have it in reserve.

Enjoy

WeeJohnyB
Old 11-Sep-2009, 01:01

Have you thought about BT-003's? I raced them on the R6 this year and liked them, very few moments and they lasted well - which was advantageous with the meagre tyre budget I could afford this eason.......

BT003's are a 600 tyre so should work fine on a 749

The top lads were virtually all on the D211 Dunlops, fast tyre but you need a proper budget to run them as you can go through them pretty quickly