Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2012, 21:39
Mille

Front brake improvement

I'd like to improve the front brakes on my 996 (when moving from my blade to the 996 they seem really poor!). I know that the 998 calipers can be used and also upgrading the master cylinder, but i'd like to start with the cheapest options first. (i already have braided lines).

To this end what pads do people recommend/usually use? (not sure whats in mine and they appear about 60% worn anyway).

Cheers
Simon
Old 19-Mar-2012, 21:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
IMHO a change of pads won't make a huge difference but a move to 4 pad calipers will.

I had a 996 and then moved to a 998, noticed a big difference in the brakes.

Ray.
Old 19-Mar-2012, 23:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Depends on what pads you already have fitted, there are some really good Brembo race pads, but they aren't recommended for road use as they aren't much cop when cold and they cost almost as much as a set of 4 pads.
Brembo do quite a few different pads the road ones being the cheapest but may be no better than what you already have.

Ferodo HH rated Sintered pads are a good road / track day pad and don't cost the earth, but a lot does depend on what you already have fitted as to how to improve on them

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Mar-2012, 23:31
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
P4 clipers in conjunction with a radial master cylinder coversion is a great set up, did it to my 748R befoe upgrading to moto Corse radial fork bottoms and radial p4 calipers.

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ter+cyl inder

And

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...radial+bottoms

Chris
Old 20-Mar-2012, 00:11
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
p4 calipers is the way forward Simon.

Look on ebay, as they come up quite often.
Old 20-Mar-2012, 10:40
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Thumbs up

Upgrading the master cylinder to a radial (pref Brembo Race Radial) is always the first step for me as it gives you so much more feedback through the lever so you know what the brakes are doing.

Second step is then to change the pads. This will give you better initial "bite" and more "grip" on the disks. My preference is for Carbonne Lorraine (now known as just "CL") SBK5 pads. These are supposedly "race" pads but I've never had an issue with them on the road. The SBK3+ are the "road" equivalent but they didn't feel as good to me!

If you're not satisfied with that then look at your calipers. Really there's nothing wrong with the standard P34 Goldline calipers - they'll still have you over the front!

Switching to a P4 setup will give you more stopping power and improved feedback again as they are 4-piston with 4-pads (pad-per-piston) rather than 4-piston but two pads like the P34s.

If you find you're still wanting more, then switching to a radial caliper is the way to go. You'll either need to find some replacement fork bottoms (the subject of radial mount converters is controversial!) or swap forks completely.

Over the next few issues of the Club's "Pronto" magazine, we have some articles on this very subject, with Chris's converstion using fork bottoms, and mine switching the forks out for 1098 forks.

Obviously, all that depends on both budget and mechanical ability!!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 20-Mar-2012, 12:33
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

May sound like a daft question but is the sag set for the bike and is you weight within the limit of the springs. Poor front susp will affect feel. Also service the pots it makes a massive difference use pink brake grease
Old 20-Mar-2012, 13:58
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
I'd go for P4's. I fitted some to my SPS. Excellent upgrade plus these days they come up quite cheap as they are "unfashionable"!
P4's fitted to many Italian bikes such as RSV/Mille, 749/999 etc.

I also have a Brembo RCS m/cyl but i.m.h.o the calipers added the best improvement.

Good luck,

RX
Old 21-Mar-2012, 23:13
Mille

Thanks for all the helpful comments :-)

I'm going to keep my eye on eBay then for the P4 calipers (not worried about fashion I still have some flared jeans!) and also for a master cylinder. If no calipers turn up before my pads wear out i'll try some of those suggested here. When they do turn up i'll also use those suggested here with them.

Regarding the sag, its not set up correctly yet as i'm going to fit an Ohlins shock that i have quite soon, but will do it after that.

Cheers
Simon
Old 22-Mar-2012, 11:16
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
"(not worried about fashion I still have some flared jeans!) "

Very good.