Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Oct-2005, 00:34
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I think your tyre looks OK Ian.

You're not carrying enough corner speed though and gassing it too hard to the exit to make up for it - exactly what I was doing on the 748 at Pembrey.

Otherwise it looks fine.
Old 05-Oct-2005, 01:33
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Well it's kinda interesting how few people have answered this post!

usually there are loads of peeps offering up there 2 Bob's worth.

The facts are!

A tyre is working when it's wearing out! so when peeps rave on about getting 3000 miles out of a back tyre and stating how good they are, they are really saying that they dont really know if it's working or not!

All tyres have a optimum range/life

once the tyres have been overheated they are technicaly F**ked as it has changed the structure in the wea've !

road tyres are made in such a way that the testing done B4 they are released for public use means that most road riders will never ever get the tyres into the sweetspot range!
let alone overheat them!!!
so swopping between manufactures is usually a rider preferd decision!
as most peeps will never get on the road to the point of total loss of adhesion
ie when you here someone say my tyre let go in a corner! what they really mean is they f**ked up Entrance or apex or exit or their suspension was so badly set up the loss of traction was due to loss of bike traction!(rider input)

My mate has been out to set up suspension on many a track day and found on standard road bikes with standard tyre's the best way was to set the bike up, to the manufactures settings and then ajust tyre pressure's by doing two laps and then loosing them down when hot to the same standard tyre pressures Ie pressures rise between 4-8 psi when hot(remember) if you try this always put pressures back up when cold !!

anyway top and bottom of it is ! unless your racing on a well sorted track bike with wellsorted suspension and proper track tyres !
then stop kidding yourself and go and do some riding skill courses!

as you will probably never ever use the tyres (standard) to the best of your ability let alone the tyres!!

Oh and by the way my mate works for Dunlop and has worked there for years and has been the tyre fitter techy bloke for corsa, bayliss, edwards, etc etc !

not what you know but who
Old 05-Oct-2005, 01:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i think the whole sticky tyre thing is hype
get your self a set of macadams
unless your bsb
Old 05-Oct-2005, 09:51
Big Twin

Didn't see this post until late, but here's what I (think) I know .... bits and bobs in no particular order:

Sticky tyres don't "stick", they are softer so the contact surface deforms better to the contours/inperfections of the road surface and so the contact area is greater (or better).

Tyres deform better at their optimum temperature, which you are unlikely to acheive on the road (unless you are breaking the law!). Hey .. could be an argument for allowing bikes to break speed limits, it'll make the tyres work better and therefore be safer? OK, maybe not a good argument.

As the wheel rotates, the tyre deforms and so the contact patch must slide, which creates friction and therefore heat.

Even on a track it is entirely possible to heat up one side of a tyre and not the other. Common problem that is highlighted in trackday briefings - "not many left handers on the circuit so the left side of your tyre will not get so hot". Something that I forget all about on the road, but then the tyre is not getting very hot on the road (usually).

Lowering the tyre pressure causes the tyre to deform better, so creating more friction and greater heat. Ian's tyre picture looks like it's getting sticky like chewing gum, which is an indication that it is starting to overheat. I suspect that if that is done on the road then the tyre pressure may have been low.

Tyres are an important part of the suspension system. Therefore it is clear that the tyre pressure has an effect on how the bike holds over surface inperfections. If the suspension is too hard then all the works is done by the tyre and you will wear the tyre out MUCH quicker.

Leave your tyre pressure too low when the road is wet and you might be riding on a "slick". As the pressure is lowered the tread pattern closes up until the tyre is a slick. (another trackday briefing warning - cheers WJB).
Old 05-Oct-2005, 20:22
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
recon my tyres are working well hard with my delicate 16 stonnes on them!
Old 06-Oct-2005, 00:49
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
recon my tyres are working well hard with my delicate 16 stonnes on them!
FFB:P
Old 06-Oct-2005, 00:51
Dibble

what rubbish, the simple answer is ...

"the tyre is working whenever the wheels are going round"

easy ...

x
Old 06-Oct-2005, 01:47
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Clearways today (spin um up lads you know who you are)
Old 12-Oct-2005, 14:18
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
It depends on how the bike is set up. The tyre can be working too hard, over heat and tear, or wear out too quick as it will be buggered.
Old 11-Nov-2005, 00:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Don't know much about tyres, however......... these had done a couple of races before I got 'em (free) then did various little trips ('bout 600 miles) then did Scotland touring (about 800 miles where pic is taken) Gizmo will help out as I don't remember where it was, but is was a good road, they then did a DSC TD at Cadwell and are not yet square !!

Yes I know there are CStrips, panniers etc, sorry !!!!

Rennsport RS1 F and RS2 R. Fecking ace if you ask me !!

Hi
How did you get the panniers on and negotiate the straps around the exhaust?

cheers
DM