Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-May-2019, 14:48

748R - rebuilds? Thoughts?

Hi all,
New here - a bit of context:
Have been offered an 2000 748R - I’m wanting to know thoughts on potential issues/viability of the bike.
I’m in New Zealand, not many of these bikes about here and knowledge not widespread hence seeking help here.

Bike has a patchy (not totally unusual in this country) service history, 40,000 odd kms and reasonably straight and original but would benefit from cosmetic restoration.
Starts, idles and runs nice.
All original apart from some funky indicators, but no other blingy eyesores.
Circa £4000 needing belts/tyres.
Verified by Ducati as genuine R.

My question is I’ve been warned these are high strung engines and the chances of it going ‘pop’ are up there due to age/mileage etc

If they do, what are the options to rebuild/repair seeing as a number of parts are model specific?
(Ie rods, cranks, cams, valves, heads, gearbox etc)

Wouldn’t be in a position to spend moonbeams in the worst case scenario by trying to track down parts that might be unobtainable?, but happy to maintain appropriately as per normal ownership (my daily is a Monster so familiar with Ducs)
For me would be a Sunday ride, not a racer/thrasher so wouldn’t be getting abused in my ownership

Thoughts/advice/possible options most welcome! Thanks!