Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 05-May-2013, 18:39
Montjuic
Bikes: Triumph Speed Triple/DD 620/

Mood: It's a grand life if you don't weaken
Time for some upgrade work

Do race / performance igniters make a real difference and does anyone know where I can get som for my 1994 600ss. Also while I am at it I would like to put twin discs on he front, so assuming I can get a pair without resorting to selling the kids kidneys, who would you suggest I contact to have them prepared for racing. Having never done it before is the removal of existing single disc and replacement of twin disc forks and associated brake assembly reasonably strightforward?
Old 05-May-2013, 19:19
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Twin disks also need a brake master cylinder that will pair correctly (hydraulic ratio) with the additional caliper.
Old 05-May-2013, 21:00
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet
Do race / performance igniters make a real difference and does anyone know where I can get som for my 1994 600ss.

Mark I have a Ignitech programmable Ignition if your interested, with the DP ones there are 3 different versions all offering a different advance curve, the Ignitech can mimic any of these

Quote:
Also while I am at it I would like to put twin discs on he front, so assuming I can get a pair without resorting to selling the kids kidneys, who would you suggest I contact to have them prepared for racing. Having never done it before is the removal of existing single disc and replacement of twin disc forks and associated brake assembly reasonably strightforward?

Bit more work required if you only have forks with one caliper mount, easiest way to go about it if you already have early wheel, calipers and forks is to get the opposing caliper and a matching disc, second brake hose and a 16mm Master cylinder.
Fork wise It depends on what is done to yours, if they are already sorted internally you may want to go for similar forks but with twin caliper mounts and swap the internals.
If your forks have little done I would look at trying to replace them with the Show versions from a 750SS

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-May-2013, 21:22
Big Twin

Mark, not directed at you personally and at the risk of my advice sounding tedious. Spend your money on.....
Track time, track time, track time.

Minor tweaks on a DD bike (in fact any bike) mean c**k all compared to putting the ride time in.

Old 05-May-2013, 21:32
Montjuic

Thanks Kev, I like the sound of the ignition system, please will pm or call to make arrangements. Yea I realised that I need the ones with both caliper mounts, as for using whats in my tubes, my trouble is that all I know about my existing suspension is that when I bought the bike I was told that it had been upgraded. I know it was Ollie Franklins old bike, do you have any contact details for him so I could try and contact him to ask?
Old 05-May-2013, 22:03
Montjuic

If only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Mark, not directed at you personally and at the risk of my advice sounding tedious. Spend your money on.....
Track time, track time, track time.

Minor tweaks on a DD bike (in fact any bike) mean c**k all compared to putting the ride time in.

Would love to be able to get track time, was thinking that sat on the line at Oulton, unfortunately the only time I had ridden the bike previously was a couple of wobbly laps at Sntetterton, and then the track day at Oulton before race day with me sitting on the line thinking........ track time, track time, track time. Problem is I live in Oban on the west coast of Scotland, my nearest track is Knockhill and the weather is still bad up here (even had some snow today). So for the time being I have to satisfy my enthusiasm with looking at some tweeking and learing about bike set up etc. But as soon as it stops bloody raining will be a regular at Knockhill!
Old 05-May-2013, 22:17
MotoGP God

Quote:
I know it was Ollie Franklins old bike, do you have any contact details for him so I could try and contact him to ask?

I'll send him a message on Facebook to see if he recalls what was done, chances are they were stiffened up as he was quite a big lad back then, slimmed down a bit now with all his triathlon training that he's now doing

Old 05-May-2013, 22:22
MotoGP God

Mark info on the Ignitech I have can be found here
http://ignitech.cz/english/tcip/manu...ip4_v75_en.pdf

Old 06-May-2013, 10:03
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
I managed with one brake until it was found I was 2kg underweight so put usable ballast on.
Chris Clarke who won most races and this years champship only had one disc. They don't need slowing that much to be honest, if they do, one is very capable.
Old 06-May-2013, 15:10
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
I've got a spare set of 750ss forks knocking about ... Drop me a line if your interseted

i'd spend a couple of days at mallory .. It's a real short lap so lots of laps .. Only a few corners to learn