Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Nov-2006, 10:48
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
UK prices.....are we screwed again?

I am tempted to buy the S version and get shot of my S4RS now. One thing that does worry me is the price. The official US and Canadian prices have now been revealed.

US$15K for the base model
US$20K for the 1098S
US$25K for the Tri Colore

(the Canadian prices are slightly higher than the American ones above)

If we are to assume we in the UK are going to be screwed again, then we can expect to pay around £11000 for the base model and about £14000 for the "S". How is it that with all the inherent extra costs in shipping the bikes to North America for sale, can they justify this huge price differential. I was led to believe that apart from the bikes performance and looks, one of the other objectives when introducing the 1098 project was to close the gap between Ducati and the in line four Japanese bikes in terms of both performance and price. Perhaps at the risk of exclusivity, one could argue (then I don't think Ducati will reduce the price THAT low), it would encourage a lot more people into the brand and sales is the number one issue for this bike, in order to make up for the 999's shortcomings on the balance sheet.

At these prices we are paying (assuming the "S" is pitched at a similar price to the outgoing 999S...£13950.00) US$26613.00. That is US$6600 dollars more than our American counterparts. Bear in mind that these US prices INCLUDE sales tax (which does vary) and the margin is even more!!

That equates to us paying a massive £3461.00 more than someone buying the same bike in the US. If as I know they do, Ducati have occasion to read this, perhaps they would like to justify what I suspect will be the "official" prices once they are announced within the next day or so. I don't mind paying the going rate for a product, but I do object to one sector of the market being afforded the same product at considerably lower costs.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 11:03
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Tax, tax and more tax.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 13-Nov-2006, 11:51
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Well there are no US sales taxes at a national level, but many states will add sales tax of up to 10 percent, which will be added to the prices quoted. In a lot of states it is disguised further and called a registration fee. As an example in Oregon (no sales tax) $20. In california about 8 percent

In the UK I beleive that we have a 10 percent vehicle duty, plus the 17.5 percent VAT

Also the US currency is being deliberate kept at a lower rate of exchange that what would reflect real equal values of the currencies.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 12:08
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
In the UK we seemed to get 'stiffed' whatever you're buying, this is just another example. We do buy goods though, so dealers, makers, house builders keep on racking up the price...
Old 13-Nov-2006, 12:24
Ducati Corse

Also the market in the US is huge compared to the tiny number that will be sold in the UK.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 13:59
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper
Also the market in the US is huge compared to the tiny number that will be sold in the UK.

Yes but even so the difference between the two prices is HUGE. You can't write that all off to just one cause. Ducati stated that it's aim was to sell more and become more competitive, both on the track and in the showroom. I am not advocating they pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap, but they would do well to explain to their customers just how they can justify these extra costs. The American dealer network campaigned with Ducati to lower the MSRP of the 1098 range and GOT what they wanted. Let's us hope the UK dealer network and Ducati Coventry have the backbone to do the same or at least TRY to level the playing field. As consumers in the UK this sucks big time.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 14:14
Big Twin

Why pick on Ducati? It's true of everything from cars to Levis: what it costs in pounds here, it generally costs in dollars in the States.

They have the massive market, and with it the opportunity to bully suppliers into the lowest prices.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 14:17
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Exchange rates and taxes make a big difference.

The dollar is weak at the mo' so it does make the Bikes look cheap when going USD to GBP, not sure about going Euro to USD tho' or Euro to GBP.

I'm not so sure the issue is with Ducati more with Gordon Brown.

If the dealer network on the US managed to get a good deal they have maybe committed to buying a boat load of bikes...........ok if the demand meets that supply, not so good if it doesn't.

Is Ducati USA owned by the Bolgna mob or just an importer??

Ducati is seen as premium brand in the UK and that means a premium price.

I'd say getting a 1098 at a cheap price is not a good deal in exchange for having George Dubya running the country but there again we aint' doing any better over here

Ray.

Last edited by Ray : 13-Nov-2006 at 14:21.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 14:23
Big Twin

Gordon Brown doesn't set the exchange rates, and the VAT rate has been unchanged for yonks.

Now if prices in the UK were shown to be higher than in a comparable European country, that might be more worthy of debate.
Old 13-Nov-2006, 15:01
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
how much will it be in Italy? or France? Germany? think these are better gauges, and looking at the bikes in Germany earlier this year ours are cheaper!!