Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jul-2004, 22:29
Ducati Corse

Wheel alignment

How do you know if,after adjusting the chain,the wheel is aligned?If i use a vernier,and am exact,the chain rubs the tyre.If i use the marks on the swingarm,it's way out.What's the best method?Been spoilt by the 748 when it comes to this!!
Old 14-Jul-2004, 00:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Jasp, get yourself a couple of 2x4s and lay them on either side of the rear wheel so that the reach the front wheel. Straighten the steering and measure the distance on either side of the front tyre to the 2x4. Must be equal distance.
Old 14-Jul-2004, 20:07
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Someone said to measure from the rear spindle centre to the swingarm centre.Don`t know if this works, but it sounds feesible
Old 15-Jul-2004, 14:49
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Biggest problem I find is that the sideplates shift in opposite directions when you tighten everything up so its difficult to tell if the adjustment is still ok once tightened.

Also it depends on the shims between swing arm and engine casing - one of my bikes had 2mm each side and the other had 1mm one side and 4mm the other, so who knows what was in line with what.......

On my old Bonneville I used to measure the distance between the rim and swing arm and aimed to get this equal.