Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Nov-2003, 17:13   #1
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Oil window can\'t see through glass
I have a 748s with 740miles on the clock going for its first service on Monday.

I was cleaning it on the abba stand and noticed a white creamy substance on the inside off the glass. Once finished set the bike level for checking the oil and I can't even see if theres any there. Went for a 20mile ride and was still there.

Anyone know what causes it heard it about before but can't remeber what causes it.

I have ridden it the rain a lot is that a cause?

Thanks in advance

Lee1980
Old 29-Nov-2003, 17:50   #2
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Its the oil emulsifying.
Its caused,I think,by the oil not being warmed up properly,causing a kind of condensation inside the engine.Perfectly normal at this time of year.
I'm sure nelly or Shazaam(or some other tech minded bod) will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 29-Nov-2003, 18:07   #3
Ducati Corse

It takes a good 30 mile ride to get the window clear on my bike at this time of year.
Water is a by product of the combustion of petrol and finds its way into the oil. Get the oil hot enough and it will evaporate. Dont get the oil hot enough and it turns into the mayo that you have seen and eventually does all sorts of damage to the inside of the engine. The solution is to only take the bike for long rides at this time of year and to change the oil more often. Dont run the bike for ten minutes every week like some poeple do during the winter.
Old 29-Nov-2003, 18:25   #4
Big Twin

I have recently only been doing the 10 mile round trip to work as I have been trying not to do to many miles before I can afford the £200 first service, oops on 740 miles anyways.

The last time I checked it was fine but these last few weeks have been real cold.
Let the bike warm up for a good time and by the time I get to work after 5 miles is on about 80-100 degress celsius depending on how bad traffic is.

Whats the dealer likely to say?

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 30-Nov-2003, 07:52   #5
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Sounds like the bike is only just coming up to temperature at your journey's end.
I would get the bike in for a service sooner rather than later,try not to go over 1000 miles.
You could change the oil yourself for peace of mind.
Old 30-Nov-2003, 10:50   #6
Big Twin

Keefy its going in tommorow will have about 750 miles on the clock.

I would change the oil myself but to keep up the warranty got to have first service around £200, they say loads of things are checked/adjusted 3.5 hours of labour @ £50 per hour. I wish I got that much for one hours work!

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 30-Nov-2003, 10:50   #7
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

Lee,
why are you paying £200 for 600 mile service?

The first service is normally free labour + parts. Which should be about £50 for the oil and filter.
Old 30-Nov-2003, 11:47   #8
everton

Nigel,

Where do you go for Ducati (Warranty approved) service? I, like Lee, will be forking out £200+ for my 999 first service soon as that is what my dealer charges (and advertises the fact).

Other Ducati dealers I tried also charge about the same and, as you can see from OYB's tariffs below, some charge more (£50) if the bike wasn't sourced from them in the first place.

This has always been the way for me in my 8 years of owning Dukes

Part of the pleasure of owning a Ducati I suppose

Just had my VFR serviced for the first time at 850 miles and it cost £24 all in from a Honda main dealer

BTW..............the advice I have received (more than once) regarding first service mileage is that 660 miles (1,000 Ks) is the minimum. Try & get more on it if possible but don't exceed 1,000.
Old 30-Nov-2003, 13:22   #9
Big Twin

Nigel, I don't have any choice really as they are the only official dealer close enough. When i bought the bike didn't think to ask to get one included.

I have heard of people on here paying more, Evertons paying the same as me.

What else can I do? Speak to Ducati?

I knew it would be more than the honda I had before.

According to the service book with the bike it is all checks, but the service guy said they will be doing more stuff, is it needed though after only 750 miles?

I guess I'll just have to pay it

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 30-Nov-2003, 14:08   #10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Don't know about the servicing cost, I presume it depends on what you negotiate when you buy the bike but I've heard Ducati have withdrawn their free first service policy... although someone might want to correct me on that.

As for the white oil... make sure you're not losing any coolant - if the coolant level is dropping then you've got an internal leak somewhere and it needs to be sorted asap, but most likely scenario is like what's already been said about condensation. If it's just a thin white film on the glass then it's not worth worrying about, but if you notice big gloopy bits in the oil then oil and filter change quick smart because it'll degrade the lubrication qualities of the oil.
Make sure you point it out to the mechanic when it goes in for service, he should recognise if it's excessive.

nb

[Edited on 30-11-2003 by NBs996]