Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jan-2007, 10:52   #1
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Headstock bearings
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!!

I've just been stripping the 888 down to attend to the things I didn't manage last year. Despite the lowish (17,000) mileage the headstock bearings are definately scrap and after much swearing the bottom race is finally parted from the stem (I ended up having to use the MIG welder to get some heat into it). The SKF part number (SKF 639172) for the taper bearings appears to be no longer made so has anyone else had any luck cross getting them from a bearing factors? All the wheel/sprocket carrier bearings will be a doddle to get so I'm keen to avoid Ducati prices if I can.

Also, are the fork seals for the Showa forks that come up on eBay OK or should I stick with Ducati ones for those?

Many thanks,

Keith
Old 01-Jan-2007, 11:46   #2
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Got SKF headstock bearings for my Superlight quite recently although I can't remember the code number. I'd be amazed if they were different from the ones fitted to T8s.

Got them from BSL at a discount using the Visordown Supermoto trade account detailed here

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136688

Guy didn't have them in stock but only took a few days to get them. They were easily less than half the price Ducati wanted so definitely worthwhile. Even cheaper 'cos they were bought via the trade account.

Darren
Old 01-Jan-2007, 11:59   #3
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Keith,

I just took them into the local bearing suppliers and they matched them on the spot. They're nothing special, so just a few quid each.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 01-Jan-2007, 13:17   #4
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B
Keith,

I just took them into the local bearing suppliers and they matched them on the spot. They're nothing special, so just a few quid each.

Rgds,

Rob
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased they are a nothing special so it looks quite promising that the bearing place I usually use will be able to sort me out.

Keith
Old 02-Jan-2007, 09:57   #5
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
for tapered roller bearings, you really want to stick with either SKF or TIMKEN. both are excellent brands with a solid reputation for quality taper bearings, avoid cheap jap rubbish like ntn or nsk, as ball bearings they're o.k, but for tapers they're not much chop. spend about 30% more on good bearings and get much longer life from them.