Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 29-Jun-2009, 12:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Unhappy Jools gets a severe case of the green eyed jealousy monster

In 2001 the comittee for the local town festival, which attracts about 5-6000 people, asked me if I could put a band together to play a gig in the park as part of the festival. It was the first time they'd tried any music at all and didn't want anything too heavy, they also wanted to keep it quite middle of the road and folky - so I called up a few people I knew and put together a 9 piece band, with a couple of girls and my daughter sharing lead vocals, keyboards, couple of guitars, me on bass, an accordion player, my son and daughter also played fiddle and we worked out around 2 hours of covers from bands like All About Eve, The Cranberries and The Corrs. We had about 5 or 6 rehearsals and were pretty good for a band thrown together for one gig (and we did manage to fit in an arrangement of 'Won't get fooled again' so it wasn't all soft MOR stuff).

We had to find our own PA that was big enough to cope with an outdoor gig, but fortunately, between a few of us we came up with enough channels of mixing desk (albeit a couple of 12 channel desks submixed into a 16 channel desk) and I borrowed a 5 kilowatt PA from a company called FAB (Fat Audio *******s) that my brother in law is a partner in.

We played on an open 25ft x 25 ft 'stage' that was built by a local builder from scaffolding and sheets of chipboard and wobbled about on that as we played. A few teething troubles, but we went on OK (we were the only band) and the crowd liked us enough for the organisers to ask us back the following year.

That never happened because the regular band I played in had split up and I couldn't get a scratch band together and rehearsed in time. A shame because having seen the potential, because the organisers got a bit braver and decided to have rock bands on the bill . I did go and see the bands though and they's upgraded the stage to the back of a artic .

For some reason, between now and then, the festival has conincided with dates when I've been working abroad...until this year. I went across to have a look at the bands and they've now got a bloody great dome stage about 50 feet across and 30 feet deep with drum risers, loads of monitor speakers and a 20Kw PA out front...it's not far off the one of the smaller stages at Glastonbury . With loads of bands on the bill! I've ALWAYS wanted to play a big stage like that....BASTIDS!

All I could do was stand there and think "Oi...you lot....I started all this ya know...you wouldn't be there without me"

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 29-Jun-2009, 12:50
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
and I've already given you your big break playing with the legendary 'Second Day Soup'

Was at Hyde Park for the Killers......excellent gig

WeeJohnyB
Old 29-Jun-2009, 19:21
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Sorry Jools, nothing to do with this post.
But you have a PM from me.
Old 30-Jun-2009, 13:46
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
Sorry Jools, nothing to do with this post.
But you have a PM from me.

..and from me too.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit