Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Oct-2004, 21:30
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Monster Brakes!!!

Are the single disk setups any good? A quick chat with Bradders suggests that they may not be up to the job of hauling a Monster down from decent speeds.

He admits that he's probably comparing these to his SPS ones, but what's the verdict?

Are the standard single disk brakes "good" and can be made "very good" with decent pads and braided lines? Or do you need to fit a 4 pot brembo to make them work properly?

Or will this still not be enough - do you need a twin disk setup to have decent brakes on a monster? Can you fit twin disks to the early Monsters and still be within the Desmo Due rules?

I'm confusing myself now!!!

Tim
Old 19-Oct-2004, 21:36
Mille

Mood: starting to feel better
they allready have 4pot brembo's

with twin disks you have to fit a lagre master cylinder too

with I fitted the 2nd disk it made the front end feel a lot more balenced under heavy braking

i've found that the front wants to skid before the rear will lift
Old 19-Oct-2004, 21:47
WSB Hero

Sorry I meant 4-pad brembos....

Which monster did you fit the second disk to?
Do all 620s have twin disks?
Do all 600s have single disks?
Can you fit twin disks to all 600s? - are the fork mounts there for the second caliper and will all wheels take a second disk?

Thanks
Tim
Old 19-Oct-2004, 21:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Timhave you seen my last post under the Desmo Due topic, asking the rule makers to consider the uprating off single disc only models to allow any OE Ducati parts. ie 4 PAD calliper and SPS disc
Old 19-Oct-2004, 21:54
WSB Hero

Kev - will that be better than a twin disk setup?

Given that the additional weight of a second disk may slow the steering, are you better off with a single 4-pad setup, or a dual 4-pot setup?

Or how about a dual 4-pad setup with SPS disks? Overbraking perhaps?

In reality, I don't want to go mad with this and want to keep the bike as standard as poss, so if the twin setup is better, that's the bike I'll go for (probably the 620????), or if you can get a single disk setup to perform well, then I'll get a 600 - I don't want to be changing parts from standard if the standard ones are decent enough - you can change parts forever, but for this racing milarkey, its not for me.

Tim
Old 19-Oct-2004, 22:05
MotoGP God

Tim, last 600SS I had only had one disc, but as the idea was not to slow down to much it was well suited to road use. In my experience on the race track I have found the standard discs fitted to the bottom of the range Ducati's tend to fade with constant hard use, which is what will happen to a standard single disc setup on the track in race conditions. I believe this problem will solved by fitting a SPS type disc and suitable pads plus aeroquip brake line. Then to get better stopping distances I think the 4 pad calliper will give the initial bit that I like to have and will also be less likely to suffer fade.
Added to that the benifits of a single disc setup of less weight some of which is gyroscopic I think it would be a ideal setup.
And as some 600SSs only come with lugs on one leg then it should be cheaper than buying a 2nd disc calliper, suitable mastercylinder and a set of forks (£400 for Louigis setup) as opposed to about £130 for SPS disc and 4-pad, then you could sell standard disc to some one doing a twin disc setup
Old 19-Oct-2004, 22:12
WSB Hero

I thought that Bradders said that his monster didn't have the caliper mounts either? Which early monsters didn't have this mount?

Thanks
Tim
Old 19-Oct-2004, 22:21
Mille

Mood: starting to feel better
the later m600 come with the mounts
not sure when thou.
mine is a 2001 m600 which had the mounts allready
Old 19-Oct-2004, 22:26
MotoGP God

1996 models for one
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/040605/
Old 19-Oct-2004, 22:29
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Whilst not under race conditions, at the monster track day, my old 600 single setup with braided lines and decent pad material was more than upto the job for a 20 minute 'fast session'.

What do you want to increase your unsprung weight for Tim...?!!

Cheers
Nat