Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Oct-2005, 07:54
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Radial clutch/brake levers

Having recently bought a 998 it came with brembo radial levers (clutch and brake). All very nice except they bash into the instrument console on tight lock.

On my 996 I had the AP radial master cyclinder and I got over this problem by fitting longer Harris clip ons and changing the position of the switches.

I wondered if anyone has encountered a similar problem and what solution you arrived at.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 08:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I think you should take them off and send them to me...
Old 11-Oct-2005, 10:20
Big Twin

Yep...mine do that as well, even though I have removed the pin from the clip-on and rotated the levers down quite a lot.

I just put up with it...its not very often of full lock anyhow. I guess you maybe able to get away with it if you have longer clip-ons??? I think skids has some fitted to (one of) his bikes...?
Old 11-Oct-2005, 10:34
Ducati Corse

I wound the lock stops out on my 748/853.It reduced the lock(but as stated,you don't use full lock that much) but it was better than smashing the levers into the clocks.
Old 11-Oct-2005, 11:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Do be careful that it's not the lever part of the brake that hits the fairing. Mine did that once when I changed brake levers but I didn't notice until I was doing CSS level 1.

Just doing the quick steer drill, which involves doing a run up and down a strip of tarmac weaving as if through imaginary cones, then a U-turn round the instructor and repeat as necessary. As I was doing the U-turn, by front brake lever nipped up against the fairing on full lock and jammed the front brake on depositing me on my ass pretty sharpish... eh Harv

Just made myself look a prat, but could've been much worse if it happened in traffic
Old 11-Oct-2005, 11:17
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
Do be careful that it's not the lever part of the brake that hits the fairing. Mine did that once when I changed brake levers but I didn't notice until I was doing CSS level 1.

Just doing the quick steer drill, which involves doing a run up and down a strip of tarmac weaving as if through imaginary cones, then a U-turn round the instructor and repeat as necessary. As I was doing the U-turn, by front brake lever nipped up against the fairing on full lock and jammed the front brake on depositing me on my ass pretty sharpish... eh Harv

Just made myself look a prat, but could've been much worse if it happened in traffic

No comment Jools...no comment!
Old 11-Oct-2005, 21:51
GTL

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like the longer clip ons might be the way forward and/or altering the stops.

Or I could just take them of and fit a couple of old syringes onto the brake lines.... radial or radical wots the difference?

There again ape hangers looked good on me old beezer. Skys the limit........
Old 12-Oct-2005, 14:32
Mille

Just in the process of fitting my bike with an AP M/Cyl. got over the problem by replacing the plastic bar ends with ally ones (that I machined up at work) that are longer than the original, then re-drilled the clip-on further out for the switch gear and twist grip etc.
Old 12-Oct-2005, 14:40
GTL

Thanks for that. I agree finding some way to lengthen the bar (bar end or longer clip on) seems the way to go