DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Fair point

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 02-Nov-2006, 15:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Steve
Sorry fella's you're all wrong ! The ST3 is the one you want..

No, No, NO!

Please don't starts fighting amonst ourselves, it's bad enough the red v's yellow brigade, but the intellectual elite fighting over who's ST is the best.

We ride the best Ducatis , the rest of them just don't know it!

When I get mine back from service, it wil have some DP cans and a nice noisy clutch, oh and a few tarty bits to make it go faster as well. Can't wait.

Last edited by jeff st4s : 02-Nov-2006 at 15:45.
Old 02-Nov-2006, 19:39
Big Twin

Well, all I can say is...

<sob>

I want my 748 back!

Frankly I think the chances of me learning to love the ST2 are remote.

I feel like I've swapped a Ferrari for a tractor.

Yes, they're grunty, yes, the riding position is OK. But it's too big, too heavy, too damn crude. The 748 fitted me. This doesn't. It's wide, and a nightmare to get into my back yard: I seem to scrape the damn mirrors nearly every time.

And the lights are the worst I've had since my old 6V TS 125. To be fair, I can't believe they can't be further improved. The ride height has been reduced, and the adjusters tilted up. but more is needed: much more. You know that US site linked to above that do the dual headlight unit? Well I'd be very happy if mine were as good as the "before" ones in their comparison.

Last edited by moto748 : 02-Nov-2006 at 19:50.
Old 03-Nov-2006, 09:02
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Too big?-compared to a 748 yes probably.
Too Heavy?-actually it is only about 10kg heavier than a 748.
Lights-hmm-agreed they are not the best-but you can get an HID conversion which will improve things no end I am told.
You need to ride it for a few(100's) miles to really get to understand what an ST can give you-I have done over 27,000 miles on my ST4S now and I still love it-VERY capable bike-and it does trackdays.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 03-Nov-2006, 10:40
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto748
[i]I feel like I've swapped a Ferrari for a tractor.

Yes, they're grunty, yes, the riding position is OK. But it's too big, too heavy, too damn crude. The 748 fitted me. This doesn't.

And the lights are the worst I've had since my old 6V TS 125. To be fair, I can't believe they can't be further improved. The ride height has been reduced, and the adjusters tilted up. but more is needed: much more.

Maybe the 2 valve ones are not as smooth as the 4, I've never riden one, but I love my ST4S is all I can say.

Maybe change the bulbs for new ones, perhaps they are a the end of there life.

I got my suspension sorted out by Steve Jordan in Bookham, Surrey, Ohlins technician, runs a race bike or 2, so he knows what to do, after that I was more at home with the performance of the suspension.
Old 03-Nov-2006, 10:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff st4s
I got my suspension sorted out by Steve Jordan in Bookham, Surrey, Ohlins technician, runs a race bike or 2, so he knows what to do, after that I was more at home with the performance of the suspension.

Steve is very good - another vote for him moto748 if you want to go down that route.

Old 03-Nov-2006, 12:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Maybe the 2 valve ones are not as smooth as the 4

No they're not, but it's more like the 2 valve ones are not quite as smooth as the 4, rather than the 4's being silky smooth and the 2's dog rough.

Can't really describe the difference between my 2 valver ST and 4 valver 888 other than to say that the 2 valver has got more instant grunt on tap but starts running out of breath at around 7-8K - which is just where the 4 valver is coming on strong. The 2 valver feels more gutsy and raw, but not to the extent that it's unpleasant or rattling yer fillings.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 03-Nov-2006, 12:50
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Quote:
No, No, NO!

Please don't starts fighting amonst ourselves, it's bad enough the red v's yellow brigade, but the intellectual elite fighting over who's ST is the best.

We ride the best Ducatis , the rest of them just don't know it!

Oh dear - I see the boys from the Communist Party are at it again.

My post re the ST4 was an expression of my own opinion based on what I had ridden in the ST range which included experiences of the 2 and 3 (note I did not mention the ST4sABS as I have not ridden this bike). I did not say that the ST2 was an appalling example of motorcycle engineering!

Neither did I question the veracity of Jool's performance on his ST2.

We should not stifle opinion, nor confuse an alternative viewpoint as a skirmish. The forum is here for us all to elucidate our experience of one product or another, or, our preference for example, of a bike in one colour scheme or another.

Folks writing freely (without abuse to others) about their own favourite Sports Tourer (or any other Ducati) should be encouraged - Henry Fordiets or Joe Starlinists have no place here.

An open and broad debate develops the forum into a worthwhile, informative and valuable platform - let's keep it that way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Moto748
The US DucatiDesigns solution is expensive - but it does the job. A cheaper alternative - approximately £12 is to upgrade the stock bulbs using the Xenon one's available from Halfords, but, a 20% improvement on rubbish is still rubbish - the problem lies with the headlamp lens and the wiring looms capacity to feed the bulbs.
Old 03-Nov-2006, 13:06
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelstan
We should not stifle opinion, nor confuse an alternative viewpoint as a skirmish. The forum is here for us all to elucidate our experience of one product or another, or, our preference for example, of a bike in one colour scheme or another.

Folks writing freely (without abuse to others) about their own favourite Sports Tourer (or any other Ducati) should be encouraged - Henry Fordiets or Joe Starlinists have no place here.

An open and broad debate develops the forum into a worthwhile, informative and valuable platform - let's keep it that way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you missed the joke somewhere along the lines here.
I was saying if the ST boys started fighting about the number of valves it would be no better than the red/yellow divide.

Besides red ones are sexier if not faster.
Old 03-Nov-2006, 14:02

I had an R reg ST2 and now have a 51 reg ST4s and I find the ST4s much, much smoother and would not go back to the ST2. The 4s has also (tough wood) been 100% reliable whereas the ST2 wasn't.

Having done a track day on both (at Castle Combe), I much prefer the 4s there as well. On the ST2, as mentioned above, it runs out of steam around 7k whereas the ST4s just keeps going until about 10K.

So another vote for the 4s. However, the ST2 is a hell of alot cheaper. But if I was in your position and you're thinking of changing, I would look at the 900ss. Cheap as chips, easier to work on, smaller and lighter than the ST2.

Chris

Edited to say - my ST2 was silver and the 4s is red so that may account for the performance difference!!