Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 12-Apr-2005, 15:28
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Two articles on crash.net...

British Superbikes Airwaves Ducati boss Colin Wright has admitted that he intends to sign the ex-factory Suzuki rider Gregorio Lavilla to the GSE run team for the remainder of this season but may not give him a machine to race.

Lavilla, since he has been deputising for the team's injured contracted rider James Haydon, is second in the BSB title chase and seems to be the only man, apart from Kiyonari's team-mate, so far able to challenge the flying factory Honda rider.

Wright is concerned that once Lavilla leaves, another team could snap him up and gain his points advantage for the remainder of the season.

"If he leaves, he could take a big load of points to one of our competitors," commented Wright.

However the team would be extremely hard pushed to keep up with three riders and six bikes, and therefore Wright claims not to want to actually field the Spanish rider in the rest of the championship.

"I would need at least four good technicians right now that know the GSE way to do things, not to mention the cost of two more high-spec Ducatis."

The Airwaves Ducati team are in a commanding position as they currently have the only non HM Plant Honda rider in the field that can seem to challenge Kiyonari for the title.

Wright knows this, and is trying to work out a deal with his sponsor to get the funding to mount a title challenge with Lavilla.

With more help from Ducati, which could come following the team's current success, and four reasonably experienced technicians that could easily be found from any of the smaller teams in the BSB paddock, Airwaves Ducati and Lavilla could be returning to the podium in the near future.

Otherwise Lavilla, who admitted that he only wants to race and would probably not be happy to sign a contract which meant he had to sit on the sidelines, could take his skills elsewhere.

"What I am here (at Airwaves Ducati) doing now is showing everybody what I know and what I can do," commented Lavilla.

AVAILABLE FOR PRINT

BUY PRINT | BUY FOR MOBILE

AVAILABLE AS PRINTS

AVAILABLE AS PRINTS

Before the BSB season started, there was a large amount of press dedicated to illustrating that Ducati machinery would struggle to keep up with the influx of four-cylinder machinery in top class Superbike racing this season.

Although this still appears to be the situation facing the factory team in World Superbike, Colin Wright's GSE-run Airwaves Ducati team has well and truly proved that it is not the case in BSB, with stunning performances from deputising rider Gregorio Lavilla in the two rounds held so far.

Now, with Lavilla's chances of carrying on in the British championship in doubt, as full-timer James Haydon makes a return to fitness, Crash.net has willingly joined those getting a taste of humble pie, and is prepared to petition Wright to try and ensure that the Spaniard gets a ride for the remainder of the season.

Armed with the venerable 999 F04, Lavilla has shown that there is still life in Ducati, and it would be an injustice for him not to continue the pursuit of early championship leader Ryuichi Kiyonari.

If you feel the same, email your thoughts to adam@crash.net. All the comments, which will be used with the uppermost confidentiality, will then be passed directly on to Colin Wright and the GSE team in petition to keep Lavilla
Old 12-Apr-2005, 16:32
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Lets hope Ducati Corse step in somehow and help cos if Lavilla isn't on the Airwaves Ducati he is surely going to be on something.

I see in the paper that Paul Bird is threatening major changes if his riders do not make progress so there may be a spot there?
Old 12-Apr-2005, 16:55
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
blah blah .... Armed with the venerable 999 F04, Lavilla has shown that there is still life in Ducati, ... blah blah

Last years WSB championship winning bike is venerable! Give me a break!
Old 12-Apr-2005, 23:52
Bevel Head

Mood: to ride new metal !
true ! they may be last years winning wsb bikes but i rekon haydon can crash anything with two wheels and hurt himself everytime !

good old james !
Old 13-Apr-2005, 00:08
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
would you really want Birdys ride ?

Hell no !

Not the nicest of bosses
Old 15-Apr-2005, 13:58
500SD

Why is Paul Bird making threats?

Me thinks that he is looking for someone to blame

On sky last weekend they said that he (Bird) had declined Honda technical support to go his own way.

Only one person to blame then really, or should Jeremy McWilliam be blamed for the rear tyre failure?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit