Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jun-2004, 12:18
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
And another thing - snapping subframes !!!

Re quality control issues, see thread on "Ducati Shed - Anyone There?"....... And another thing!! If Ducati were to take the Quality control issues seriously they would not simply swap a snapped monoposto subframe with another one, with exactly the same ill conceived welding on it as the fated one. I have a bip subframe so its not an issue but have heard of one guy who has had three replaced by Ducati FOC. What does that tell you of the design. In the end (I think his fourth by that stage!!) he had it TIG welded up (where the exhaust / end can is supported) properly and job done. In another instance I have seen a 999S where the welding did not go all the way around the two main forward fuel tank tubes that are welded to the main frame rails. OK they are not really subject to any great load but they look as if they are just tacked on. The ends of these short tubes are 2-3mm short of the main frame and a visible gap is showing between the two where weld should ordinarily be. Come on Ducati, never saw that on a single frame in the past or are the factory on a YTS enrollment scheme at present?!!
Old 24-Jun-2004, 17:36
500SD

The problem is there not snapping on the weld but about 10mm above where the two rails join into one, the ally tubeing is not up to the job but whats worse is you cant see the cracks unless you look under the seat unit.
mines had 2 subframes in a year and the last one replaced was the "new modded one" so they still break......whats worse is there only replaced under warranty in the first 2 yrs then they cost over £400.
Even when there replaced out of warranty there only garranteed for 1 year!
Old 24-Jun-2004, 17:47
500SD

Mood: head down
ha you think thats bad im on my fourth yes fourth ti end can for the 57mm system my mate is on his 3rd. so far they last one or two days one the track and then shear on the top mounting............
Old 24-Jun-2004, 20:01
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Now we know why Ducati's are so expesive?

To pay for the warranty cover