Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 20-Oct-2005, 10:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Why is he mad, I can't see how it is much different than James Ellison riding the WCM, everybody knows that the equipment is handicapping him but he still recieves alot of attention for his riding ability.
So if Craig Jones is on the Petronas next year and puts in better times and performances than Gary McCoy and Steve Martin and maybe even beats a few bikes/riders that he shouldn't then I can't see as it will do him any harm, especially if he hasn't been offered any other rides outside the UK.
It will give him a chance to learn world championship tracks, gain alot of experience and could help put him in with a chance of a better ride in the future.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 10:48
GTL

Mood: Busy, Busy...Busy!
anyone seen a road bike on the road yet? [/quote]

they are making them in Basildon/essex about 30 miles from me and i have seen the mock up being tested on the road and recently the finished article.

not too bad i suppose, defo wont see many in the car park, but not worth half what they sell them for.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 13:02
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Saw one at Silverstone WSB on a stand, actually looked really nice with the lights/mirrors etc, just a mock up I guess, but looked good
Old 20-Oct-2005, 13:33
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Why is he mad, I can't see how it is much different than James Ellison riding the WCM, everybody knows that the equipment is handicapping him but he still recieves alot of attention for his riding ability.
So if Craig Jones is on the Petronas next year and puts in better times and performances than Gary McCoy and Steve Martin and maybe even beats a few bikes/riders that he shouldn't then I can't see as it will do him any harm, especially if he hasn't been offered any other rides outside the UK.
It will give him a chance to learn world championship tracks, gain alot of experience and could help put him in with a chance of a better ride in the future.

I can't see it leading to better things. I think he'd have been better off in WSS on a CBR, or even in BSS for another year.

Being on a lower quality bike hasn't worked for James Ellison yet has it?
Old 20-Oct-2005, 14:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Kev, I don't disagree with you. I can understand Jonesy wanting to get on the world stage to show his stuff, but history suggests it's a hard slog to get from the back of the grid to the front in one series. If you look at most riders across the top classes, they came from somewhere near the front of their previous class and got a competitive ride in the new class. In other words, in order to get the very top, you need to be near the front in the lower classes first. Even then it's not easy.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 14:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yes Felix it is certainly better that way, but it does depend on what his other options are, after all it wasn't that long ago Karl Harris was dominating BSS and since then it looks as if he is still waiting for his oppotunity to arise. Where as Craig didn't dominate BSS and is now getting onto the world stage to see if he can do something there. Can't say riding the Petronas stuffed Corsers Career

Time will tell
Old 20-Oct-2005, 14:27
Ducati Meccanica

Yes, but Corser was proven winner before he went to ride for Foggy. Had he stayed any longer he's career would certainly have suffered.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 14:29
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
But Corser is an ex World Champ on a Duke and was at the front on an Aprilia. I think he took the Petronas job when the possibility of being near the front was there, but when the 1000cc ruling came in it was clear they'd never reach it.

Karl Harris is in the factory Honda BSB team next year, so it's worked for him.

I can't think of a single example where running "well" at the back of the field on uncompetitive machinery has lead to a front running ride in the same series...
Old 20-Oct-2005, 14:30
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Yes, but Corser was proven winner before he went to ride for Foggy. Had he stayed any longer he's career would certainly have suffered.

I agree - look at Garry McCoy. He was challenging Rossi on the Red Bull yamaha and winning races. He was seriously considered as a championship contender before having a horror run of injuries etc.

Look where he is now!
Old 20-Oct-2005, 14:33
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
I can't think of a single example where running "well" at the back of the field on uncompetitive machinery has lead to a front running ride in the same series...

Yes, that's my point. Somewhat depressing really for all these young guns. Yet, we need more young guns getting good rides in top classes.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit