Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jul-2004, 22:54
Mille

Different regulator problem?

I have read many of the posts on this topic and all seem to relate to a lack of charging. I suspect that I am suffering from an overcharging problem. A summary of my experience follows:
After experiencing high voltage measured at the battery terminals I suspected a regulator problem. After undertaking extensive tests including checking the alternator continuity/voltage, regulator diode checks and regulator earthing I concluded that these were all ok. However I was unable to verify (no means available) that the regulator was operating satisfactorily. I also concluded that the battery was defective (couldn't be sure if this was an inherent battery failure or as a result of prolonged exposure to a high charging voltage) and replaced this.

After fitting the battery I undertook further battery voltage tests and found that the voltage was stable around the 14 - 14.5 v level regardles of how high the engine was revved. In order to give confidence that everything was ok, I rigged a cheap DVM to the battery so that I could monitor the voltage when riding. Everything seemed ok on my test runs.

However on my last ride, after around 40 miles the voltage started rising slowly to a peak of around 17v. After stopping for around half an hour I set off on my return journey and the voltage had returned to around the 14v mark. After 10 miles or so the voltage started rising and peaked at over 18v!

Can I conclude that the regulator has given up the ghost and any idea how much to replace?

PS
My bike is a 98 900ssie with the three phase alternator and shares, I believe, the same rectifier/regulator as the superbikes.
Old 10-Jul-2004, 07:07
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Should'nt this be on the 'SS' board?

Seriously tho,a new regulator costs around 110quid at a dealer.Pattern ones are available for around 70quid.The pattern ones work ok but sometimes they come without connectors.You then have to faff about soldering on the connectors from your old unit.
Old 11-Jul-2004, 14:11
Mille

Should it have been on the SS board? Probably; however I figured that since most of the posts on this subject have been on the superbike boards that was where I would get most replies!

Consensus seems to be that it is the regulator that is at fault. However I am surprised that I haven't seen any other posts reporting the same problem.

Thanks for the pointers on cost.