Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:00
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
In my expieriance most Ducati supplied chips/ECU'S that come with exhaust systems are overfuelled,that's a way of making them "safe",ie unlikely to cause the engine to detonate or melt!
So using a PC could sharpen up the throttle response in certain areas(also giving better fuel mileage),but if the PC was fitted by a "muppet",then there's a risk of major problems!
So in my opinion,either have a PC fitted by a very competant person(JHP etc) or leave well alone!
Both my bikes have DP exhausts & chips/ECU'S fitted but no PC,i'm very fussy & have good "feel" when riding,but i've never felt the need to improve what Ducati have supplied!
PS if you were wondering,i'm also reasonably quick, for an old/fat duffer(as a couple of people on this board could second),i use the bikes quite hard & i've never managed to damage the engines on either!
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:02
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Id expect that sort of misguided information from a man that doesnt know the difference between an il4 and a v4.......oh it is.

The point is its not about "thrashing" a bike and full power! Its about the small progressions and a varied throttle opening inbetween, and the adjustability the pc111 gives. Speak to your sponsor steve!

When a bike is run on a dyno you can tell by the shape of its power curve how smooth it will be. By using an infinitely adjustable tool, like a pc111 the dips can be smoothed out.

Any vehicle would benefit, and i think its worth while.
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
MEEEOOOOWW
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:14
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Don't forget, i've seen you ride round Donny,

Cat Fight!!!!!!!!
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:15
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
[/quote]

hee hee.... it's a discussion forum

not many people post like i do.... my words seem to lose something in translation because people are not here in person...

he's a big lad too.... if i'm really unlucky he will sit on me [/quote]

They need to be read with a cheecky grin and a scouse accent - they sound fine then
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:34
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
All the current road tests in magazines (and ones going back a few years too) rave about the quality of a standard Dukes fuelling. Admitedly this is a view from the saddle rather than a view of the fuelling graphs and dyno charts. But then, most people get more fun from riding than looking at graphs don't they?

I think that this is because Ducati development engineers and testers will have spent thousands of man hours getting the fuelling right (even allowing for emissions testing).

Now I know that fuelling changes when you change anything else to do with the induction or exhaust, but once again some nice people with white coats and calculators will have spent many hours of testing to get a replacement chip (or ECU) up to scratch for Termis or freeflow airfilters. I don't know who is best at doing this, DP, JHP or FIM, but if you look at the FIM website you'll see the sort of attention to detail that goes into it.

When you couple that with the fact that once the firmware is sorted to the point where it's nearly there, the ECU will automatically make minor tweaks from all the sensor information it gathers.

So, I agree with what Weeksy is saying (even if he is playing devils advocate). Any extra gains from a Power Commander are going to be pretty marginal over those of a well set up pipes/filters/chip combination. Gains, that as Weeksy said, will go largely unnoticed by all but the people that truly can wring out the last drop of performance from a bike.
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:53
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
erm.....

So then, "no" is the answer to the original question
Old 21-Jan-2005, 14:57
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Amen Jools, Amen.
Old 21-Jan-2005, 15:26
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
long race...
Old 21-Jan-2005, 18:58
Big Twin

Mood: happy
just got home from work and was surprised with the responses to my question. From what i had read about power commanders my main concern was fueling, when you had fitted termis. I dont know why Weeksy assumed i need my 996r to go faster thats not what i asked, ok the word POWER may have something to do with it, but extra power is not needed, I was just concerned about fuel mixture and whether the ECU supplied with my termis was sufficient in correcting it. Weeksy, you have racing on the brain, power,power,power. no,no,no. smoothness,smoothness,smoothness, thats all im after, mixture not to rich or to lean. im not an engine man so i do need to ask questions like this. Is John Hacket just saying bikes need them just to sell them? mmmmm