Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-Dec-2009, 20:10
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
I assume the Rosso's are "Z" rated?
Old 02-Dec-2009, 20:15
500SD

Rosso sport or Strada ?
Old 02-Dec-2009, 20:18
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Well, I realise that there has been a lot of speculation on this subject, but we have finally been able to complete the necessary tests and reach a decision about tyres for 2010.

It would appear that we cannot have a guarentee of supply of Diablos for 2010, so we need to change the tyre for the series.

Given that there needs to be a change it was agreed by the RC that we should test a Pirelli replacement and perhaps two other options. So on Saturday Kev Ellis and Chris Pullen rocked up at Mallory for probably one of the worst days to do a trackday weather wise.

They then proceeded to test product from Pirelli, Bridgestone and Maxxis.

Having set a benchmark time on a set of Diablo's Kev then tried the new Pirelli Rosso, followed by the Bridgestone 003 and then finally the Maxxis. During these sessions the track became gradually dryer and speeds rose.

Having looked at the times, we also took tyre temperatures and particularly warm up times into account.

What does this mean:

3rd Place: - Maxxis - took 6 laps to start to warm up and give a proper level of grip, then on the pace. Stability/confidence level 4/10, appears to be designed for a bike with 130bhp+ that would work the carcass harder and generate more heat. Almost certainly needs to be used with warmers for DD bikes.

2nd Place: - Bridgestone - took 4/5 laps to build up enough heat to be able to start pushing. Stability/confidence 6/10, confirmed as more of a trackday tyre for 100bhp+. Again would do much better with warmers for DD bikes.

1st Place: - Pirelli Rosso - took 2 laps to generate enough heat to be able to start pushing them and lapped 3.5 sec faster than Diablo's despite conditions. Stability/confidence 7/10, construction of carcass and tread pattern well suited to 60bhp DD bike. Because of more road orentated construction does not need warmers for DD bikes.

Given the incremental cost of everyone having to buy warmers and a generator within the DD paddock, this is not a move that the RC wishes to maker the grid undertake. We beleive that it is better to stay with both being banned and controlling costs.
Accordingly the rules will be updated to show that the control tyre for 2010 will be the Diablo Rosso. However entrants will be allowed to use their existing Diablos for the 1st 3 rounds of the 2010 season.

We will be advising the fitted price from Holbeech shortly, but expect them to be similar to the 2009 price.

Well How do I boil my kettle if a friggin generator is banned.
Old 02-Dec-2009, 20:41
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Well How do I boil my kettle if a friggin generator is banned.

Plenty of Hot Air in the paddock, so boiling a kettle shouldn't be a problem

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 02-Dec-2009, 20:49
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Plenty of Hot Air in the paddock, so boiling a kettle shouldn't be a problem

Mmmm I'm sure its a typo, you can't ban folk from having a genny!! .................Can you???
Old 02-Dec-2009, 21:40
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Well firstly, thanks Kev for taking the time to do this test.

Thanks also for being willing to push hard enough to crash in the name of finding the limits of the tyres in the conditions.

I think that inadvertantly, with Ady having been there on Rosso's as well, we've kind of covered all bases with the test as he seems to have a decent enough pace to test them at that end of the spectrum. Kev has added a good scientific aspect to it, what with taking temperatures and trying to keep parameters as balanced as is possible in this situation.

I feel that the best job has been done given the constraints, and that we have a reasonable outcome.

Cheers chaps
Old 02-Dec-2009, 23:12
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
I assume the Rosso's are "Z" rated?

You assume correctly
I had a 120/70ZR17 front
and a 160/60ZR17 rear

As for boiling the kettle, isn't it about time Cadwell, Pembrey and Castle Combe get some electrical hook ups sorted and Mallory could at least get back to the amount they had back in the late 90s

Tim, thanks for the support

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 02-Dec-2009, 23:24
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Rosso sport or Strada ?

Didn't know they did a Diablo Rosso Strada
It wasn't the Diablo Rosso Corsas just the standard Diablo Rosso

Heres a link to Pirelli's info on the Diablo Rosso

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/web/motorcy...t/default.page

http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/bro...elease_eng.pdf

Last edited by skidlids : 02-Dec-2009 at 23:31.
Old 03-Dec-2009, 00:29
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Mmmm I'm sure its a typo, you can't ban folk from having a genny!! .................Can you???

If you honestly think that this was the intention, then you're beyond help

The point CB is trying to make is that *if* the series allowed tyre warmers then it would be fine if you were in a garage, otherwise you would need a genny to power them. You'd probably need one anyway at places where there was no electrical hook-up in the paddock, such as Mallory, Cadwell, Castle Coombe, etc.

Having to go out and buy tyre warmers and a genny (remember you need quire a powerful one to run the tyre warmers) would be touching £1,000 ... that's the same as some people paid for their bikes!

So the point was that tyre warmers (and thus the generator you need to run them) are banned from use in DD.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 03-Dec-2009, 00:47
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye

Having to go out and buy tyre warmers and a genny (remember you need quire a powerful one to run the tyre warmers) would be touching £1,000 ...

Not where I go shopping
Pair of warmers £175 to £225
2.2kW Genny £350 ish
That's what I use to have for SoT, lifting the Genny in and out of the van by myself wasn't easy, I certainly wouldn't want to go any bigger

And its not uncommon to have a fault with the tyre warmers every now and then, so I use to have a spare set with me just in case

So much less hassle when you can't use them, but in some cases with many tyres you do need them, such as the BT003s in my opinion