Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Apr-2011, 14:36
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
For Steve's later engine that was 118mph in top, to get the same speed out of a 583 engine with the 2:1 Primary you would need 15/42 and also rev to 8750 or go 15/41 and rev to 8500
I am having trouble believing that is possible. The highest speeds measured at the BSB Brands weekend were about 112mph, at a point 400m from a third gear sweeping corner. I don't see that, even with another 100m to play with, it is possible to hit 6mph more than that from a slow 2nd gear bus stop. There is no way my motor could pull up to 8750 on 15/42 by the bridge. It was only just pulling those rpms on the 14/43 gearing.

(Skids, check my Primary against those rolling road figures - I was running 14/43 at Brands)
Old 11-Apr-2011, 15:00
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
I am having trouble believing that is possible. The highest speeds measured at the BSB Brands weekend were about 112mph, at a point 400m from a third gear sweeping corner. I don't see that, even with another 100m to play with, it is possible to hit 6mph more than that from a slow 2nd gear bus stop. There is no way my motor could pull up to 8750 on 15/42 by the bridge. It was only just pulling those rpms on the 14/43 gearing.

(Skids, check my Primary against those rolling road figures - I was running 14/43 at Brands)

bus stop 3rd gear not 2nd for this geraing which may mean it pulls better. Phil was running 14/43 at brands ('97 engine I think) and works out within a gnats of 14/46 on mine (late monster)
Old 11-Apr-2011, 16:15
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
bus stop 3rd gear not 2nd for this geraing which may mean it pulls better. Phil was running 14/43 at brands ('97 engine I think) and works out within a gnats of 14/46 on mine (late monster)
I don't know how anyone can gear their bike to use 3rd at the bustop and not be revving the absolute nuts off of it from the bottom of devils elbow round to Edwinas (half the lap). should see a few bikes overheating after 18 laps.....
(especially with latest forecast showing 17C and dry)
Old 11-Apr-2011, 20:47
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
I don't know how anyone can gear their bike to use 3rd at the bustop and not be revving the absolute nuts off of it from the bottom of devils elbow round to Edwinas (half the lap). should see a few bikes overheating after 18 laps.....

we'll find out Friday

you doing test day I assume?
Old 11-Apr-2011, 23:06
500SD

Quote:

Hi Ron,
Maybe your right but with that gearing i ran i beat the current Class B champ
who if you speak to him, Stated to me he could not match the drive i got out of edwinas, hairpin, bus stop and the drive i got out of gerrards in 5th.
Worked for me
Old 12-Apr-2011, 08:06
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Hi Ron,
who if you speak to him, Stated to me he could not match the drive i got out of edwinas, hairpin, bus stop and the drive i got out of gerrards in 5th.
Worked for me
I suppose it all depends on what you like the feel of and how much stress you want on yourself or the bike over 18 laps. It also depends in you are chasing or in front. I was matching last years winning lap times, but revving a lot lower and with less gear changes. With the lower gearing you are changing up and down an extra gear between edwinas and the hairpin, which makes it a little less relaxing. However, the real issue for me is how high you are revving from the start/finish line right round to braking for Edwinas.... it sounds crazy to me, but if it works for you that is all that really counts.

Bradders, yes I am there on Friday. Following Ghost around all day. It is only fair he repays the favour from following me at Brands (although he may try sand-bagging, so I will have to be careful he doesn't slow me up too much )
Old 12-Apr-2011, 09:00
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Wink

Quote:
I suppose it all depends on what you like the feel of and how much stress you want on yourself or the bike over 18 laps. It also depends in you are chasing or in front.

...and therein lies the black art of racing!

Different riders like different settings, so what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 12-Apr-2011, 11:19
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
Hi Ron,
Worked for me

I seem to remember seeing you riding it like a bronco

Craig
Old 12-Apr-2011, 12:51
Big Twin

Well, I played with 14/43 and 14/44, posted the same times on both and didn't notice any real advantages to either.....

Skids, for next year can you introduce a set gearing rule?!!