Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 02-May-2005, 13:59
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Just as a guide, our 583 bike at this point is putting out:

48bhp at the rear wheel
compression is 160psi on the rear cyl, and 155 on the front - which is as it came offf the road - with over 18,000 hard commuter miles on it (no apparent servicing)

Got a DP 2 into 1 pipe work & MHP can on it.

Fuelling: Carbs are upjetted

No air filter or top (using remnant as catch can!)

Gearing is 14 front, 45 rear - rear is still as std when we brought the bike, so heavy steel one.
Old 02-May-2005, 14:29
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
i personally thought the MT have got the power spot on for the 583 bigbore bikes so as to be very even with rthe 620's (as this weekend proved)

Believe me, if you're riding a 583/675 then you wouldn't think that!

The 620's have a big advantage, and the 680's have an even bigger one.

583 Fastest Lap:

Andy Johnson 0:50.20

620 Fastest Lap:

Clinton De Tarnowsky 0:48.77

680? Fastest Lap:

Geoff Spencer 0:47.81

Andy rode a blinder all weekend, and in my opinion was a match for Geoff on ability, so the 2.5 second diff over such a small circuit is HUGE!!

This is not a 'close' series, and it is not 'equal' in any way.

I'm very lucky that I'm in the position I am with Louigi, cos he'll build the same spec bike as Geoff, and a number of others who'll be having the work done for CC.

HOWEVER, I think that this is where the series will fall on its arse, and has lost the plot, coz Fil2 & Ali have the ability to win races in this series, but they will be denied by the poor decision making of the series rule writers.

Let me remind you of one of the main principles of the series, taken from the Desmo Due Racing Rules 2005

Quote:
The objective is to try and provide a format that will promote close racing, keep a lid on costs and put the emphasis on rider ability rather than budget ability, whilst limiting the number of rounds to something manageable for the family man.

I think what you've done is...

Quote:
Provide a format that will promote Dealers and Ducati brands, and put the emphasis on budget rather than rider ability, whilst turning a blind eye to anything outside the rules and spirit of the series

I'm quite serious about this. It needs to be addressed, before you have a grid of 10 bikes, and a severe lack of interest. I haven't had to buy a bike, and I'm spending every penny I earn to do this. I don't see why I should be defeated by people who have plenty of money, but can't ride for toffee.

Feet need to be placed back on the ground.

This should always have been a 583 OR a 620 series and no big bores. Not all 3!!!
Old 02-May-2005, 14:37
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
Chris struggled with confidence

Perhaps he should try to stay on the bike then?

3 crashes????

(I know I fell off too, but at least I was fast )
Old 02-May-2005, 14:39
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
domski - I thought fil & ali had bb?
Old 02-May-2005, 14:41
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
Phil (583 big bored) was losing a few meters on me down there too but was able to keep on my tail for the whole of both races because he seemed to be the better rider

Dont do yourslef down mate, from what I saw the results were about right.
Old 02-May-2005, 14:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
As much as I'd love to see an even playing field I have a feeling the horse has definitely bolted! Geoff's obviously in another league (especially at Cadwell) and I agree that he'd have stood a good chance of winning without the BB, but I'm sure Dave, Mike and Clint would've been a fair bit closer.

As it stands I can't see anyone going to Geoff to ask him to take the BB kit off his bike, the dealership entries probably have the cash/free labour to make it happen, and there may be a couple of 'privateers' willing to stump up the cash as well, so I reckon there'll be a good 5-6 680ie bikes out there in the next couple of rounds.

As for the standard 620ie vs 675 debate, there's no doubt the 620s are slightly quicker, but it's an amount that I'm sure the likes of Fil, Antony, me, etc can live with. I'd love to get a bit more out of my engine, but do I really want to blow £1k just to beat 1 or 2 people?

Ali
Old 02-May-2005, 14:48
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996 but at the end of it all we'll know who the trophies SHOULD have been going to.

Which is exactly my thoughts when the awards were being handed out yesterday.

I think it is bad enough for the series that the awards will go to 'works' riders who are not the rank-and-file members for whom (I thought) the series was devised. What message does it send out to the members who may be considering racing in future years? "It's ok to enter the series but you have to realise that it is for the benefit of dealers to field experienced racers on far superior kit"

No, I think to allow 620 injected motors to have a further advantage is a BIG mistake.
Old 02-May-2005, 14:55
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by ali
I have a feeling the horse has definitely bolted!

Disagree. Having one rider abuse the 'spirit' of the rules is exactly the right time for the series organisers to step in and say "No". If you leave it now then, naturally, the number of 680s will escalate and then the horse will have bolted.
Old 02-May-2005, 14:58
MotoGP God

so, is someone running a 620 BB then?
Old 02-May-2005, 15:00
500SD

Have a look at the lap times and see if you guess who.
Closed Thread