Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-May-2003, 16:22
Bevel Head

Rear Wheel Removal

I bought a Carbon hugger today for my new toy. And am pretty certain that i need to remove the rear wheel to fit it.

What size nut is that on the wheel. Bloody massive, I have nothing anywhere near big enough. Any ideas on where I can get one?

Cheers

Mark
Old 14-May-2003, 16:28
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
46m socket, look in for sale harry s has some for sale, or go to a local tool shop.
Old 14-May-2003, 16:49
Montjuic

Mood: Waiting for the Sunshine
Lloydy,

Andy B is right , 46mm, and spookily is the same size as the ball joint nut on an old mini, so most decent motor factors will have them (i.e. not Halfords).

Without trying to teach my grandmother to suck egss and all that, also worth cable tying the circlip when you reassemble, as these rear wheelnuts have been known to work loose !
Old 14-May-2003, 16:54
Bevel Head

Thanks very much for you advice people.

Hey, dont worry about teaching me to suck eggs!! I need all the help I can get! Only had the Duc for 4 days!!

I did try Halfords.. But like you said......
Old 14-May-2003, 21:07
Big Twin

I have ordered mine via Halford.

You need 46mm for the wheel side and 41mm for the sprocket side.

Halford can get them with 2 or 3 days turn around. They order them from TENG TOOLS and they are about £16 each in satin finish (chrome is much more expensive, about £25).

Those come with a 3/4 inch drive though and you will need an adaptor (available from Halford too) from 1/2 inch to 3/4 (about £8) since I suppose your spanner will be 1/2 drive.

Also you will need a heavy duty Torque Wrench to operate that. I got a cheap one from ScrewFix.com (about a tenner). Not worth splashing a lot on such a wrench since this is pretty much the only time you are going to use it.
Better to spend the money on an acurate 3/8inch drive one.

Also I have bought a handy little Jump Start system from screwfix. Really cool to bring on track days. You charge it up at home and it provides power to jump start the bike (sometimes a problem on Dukes lets face it), light, and even a small tyre inflator! (about £50).

Cheers
Philippe
Old 14-May-2003, 22:44

Mood: MewaaaMewaaa
Its such a long time ago that I fitted my DP hugger, but I can definatly say that I didn't remove the wheel, all I needed to do was remove the caliper so that I could thread the brake hose.

Gannet.

PS I didn't bother to drill and tap the swingarm
Old 14-May-2003, 22:48
Big Twin

hugger

thats a good point...what make is the hugger? Do you really need to remove the wheel. I know when I first got my BIP, I swore blind I would have to remove the wheel to get the old hugger off...but alas no...just a bit of jiggery pokery and out it came?!?!
Old 15-May-2003, 09:42
Mille

A mate of mine has a tool business and will give discount if you mention DSC. Worth an email if only to check prices.
Old 15-May-2003, 10:12
Bevel Head

Once again, many thanks to everyone for your replies.

I phoned my Dad last night and his next door neighbour had one, so I went and got it, took the wheel off and then put on the hugger. All sorted.

I have ordered a 46mm socket and that should be here tomorrow, I will have to buy an adaptor or something similar as my spanners etc are all 1/2inch.

Cheers

Mark
Old 16-May-2003, 08:38
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I would suggest you remove the rear wheen just to make life easy and i would also suggest you screw and tap the arm to do the job properly, its very easy. Good Luck