Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Sep-2006, 10:40
Bevel Head

Question adjusting the chain on 748

can you do it with the bike on the paddock stand?

If not, why not?

The weight is still on the wheel after all ???
Old 13-Sep-2006, 10:46
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
yes, its best to do it on the paddock stand so you can spin the wheel and check the chain so you adjust it at the tightest point.

and you can give it a good clean at the same time

748RS race bike (well, 853 but who\'s counting!)
999S road bike,

www.motorapido.co.uk
Old 13-Sep-2006, 11:58
Bevel Head

Thought so, thanks.

I had a new chain put on no more than 5000 miles ago, but it's got a hell of a noticeable tight spot.

I was at Knockhill yesterday on a Niall Mackenzie race school and noticed how slack it was. Tightened it there but could feel it slack all the way back to Tyneside.

Checking it last night there's a marked difference from tight spot to the rest of the chain.

Tightened as far as I could on the tight side with it on the stand, give it a bloody good lubing and tried to free up any tight links as they looked a wee bit dry and not running freely. Ran the engine to do this and kept lubing and working the chain. I'm hoping that this is going to help a bit and will reset the correct tension after doing this a couple more times.

The chain doesn't seem to have lasted 5 minutes. It was changed about 2 years ago. (the bikes on a restricted policy of 3k per year, before you ask )
Old 13-Sep-2006, 16:33
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Fitted a DID chain earlier this year which, when I came to adjust after a 300-mile bedding in period, had the mother of all tight spots. Like yourself, cleaned and lubed it in the (vain) hope it would ease itself out. Next time bike was at dealers technician confirmed it was totally DC Cooked and fitted a new one. Hope you have better luck Popeye, but my experience suggests that when they're gone, they're gone!
Old 13-Sep-2006, 17:02
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Its the tight spot that you would have to adjust to, so it seem you chain is had it. I changed a chain on one of the DD bikes the other day,when I can to line 12 old links up against 12 new ones there was nearly half a link differance,there is something like 110 links on a chain. Get yourself a new Tysubaka chain from B&C Express good prices normally and quick delivery. 4D
Old 14-Sep-2006, 10:00
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordie
Its the tight spot that you would have to adjust to, so it seem you chain is had it. I changed a chain on one of the DD bikes the other day,when I can to line 12 old links up against 12 new ones there was nearly half a link differance,there is something like 110 links on a chain. Get yourself a new Tysubaka chain from B&C Express good prices normally and quick delivery. 4D

Thanks Fordie,

I changed rear sprocket and chain last time. I'd hope to avoid doing the sprocket again.

I don't know these Tysubaka chains.

According to the guide I need a 520 sigma (wouldn't mind Gold ) at 68 quid plus 3 for postage

Can you tell me more about them? I was wondering whether I could go back to the guy that fitted the current chain and complain about it's short life. But guess it wouldn't do much good.
Old 14-Sep-2006, 10:01
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote
Fitted a DID chain earlier this year which, when I came to adjust after a 300-mile bedding in period, had the mother of all tight spots. Like yourself, cleaned and lubed it in the (vain) hope it would ease itself out. Next time bike was at dealers technician confirmed it was totally DC Cooked and fitted a new one. Hope you have better luck Popeye, but my experience suggests that when they're gone, they're gone!

Cheers mate. I, err, think
Old 14-Sep-2006, 10:16
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I don't know these Tysubaka chains.

According to the guide I need a 520 sigma (wouldn't mind Gold ) at 68 quid plus 3 for postage

Can you tell me more about them? I was wondering whether I could go back to the guy that fitted the current chain and complain about it's short life. But guess it wouldn't do much good.

Fitted one on my 748 about 3 years ago and it's been spot on ever since. I liked it so much that I bought one for the DD race bike, and that's still going strong after two seasons, without any signs of tight spots or stretching.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 14-Sep-2006, 10:40
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Fitted one on my 748 about 3 years ago and it's been spot on ever since. I liked it so much that I bought one for the DD race bike, and that's still going strong after two seasons, without any signs of tight spots or stretching.

good recommendation there then