Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Mar-2005, 16:56
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
The rain in Spain - tall tales from Cartagena

Isn't it just typical? We flew out to Cartagena last Saturday for four days on lunacy on one of Spain's finest.

Sunday - Temp 4-5 degs, two dry sessions then rain for the remainder )-: Got some forecasts and decided to buy a set of full wets before they all got sold.

Monday - Temp 2-3 degs, rained ALL day. Fitted said wets and did 2 full sessions and a short session as the cold was simply draining my concentration to the point where I was gonna bin it. Eventually called it a day at 3.30 and took a taxi back to the hotel to dry and thaw out.

Tuesday - Temp 2-3 degs, raining in the morning so stayed in bed! Took a taxi to circuit to be ready for first session after lunch. By now rain had stopped but the temp was keeping the track damp and cold so went out on cut slicks for two sessions. Track started to dry out and the cuts were working well. Eventually started raining again in late afternoon so decided to quit while I was ahead.

Wednesday – Temp 5 degs but warming, raining in the morning. Hung around hoping the track would dry out, but finally admitted defeat and fitted the wets again. Managed 8 laps before deciding the wets were not up to the drying track as the sun had finally put in an appearance. Fitted the cut slicks and went out again. Open pit lane meant that we were now lapping with some very quick ACU lads. Spent all of one session following a couple of quick lads on Hornets, then latched onto another quick lad on a CBR600 who without knowing it, taught me a whole lot more than if I had been circulating alone. Next session was spent circulating either immediately in front of, or immediately behind Rattler. By heck that ZX10 is quick down the straight.

Weather on Thursday, Friday and Saturday – temp 14 degs minimum, sunshine from a cloudless sky. Forecast for tomorrow and the next five days – more of the same but getting warmer! Looks like we picked the wrong week.

Moral of the story? It’s amazing what you can learn in the rain……
Would I do it again? – You better believe it.

Ding Dang Do!

[Edited on 5-3-2005 by yeti]
Old 05-Mar-2005, 16:59
BSB Star

And - I finally got my knee down!
Old 06-Mar-2005, 10:59
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Still sounds like you had good fun yeti
Old 06-Mar-2005, 11:15
BSB Star

I personally had a blast. Have learned more in the four days over there than any number of UK track days. Am totally convinced that riding alongside the ACU bods made me up my game.

Would recommend it to anyone, but one tip - get fit! I ached in places I wouldn't have believed I could ache in. To be fair Jon did warn me that I would. He too gave me shed loads of good advice and was responsible for my change in riding style.

Thanks Jon - or is it Super Mario now?