Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Oct-2003, 10:27

999 \"S\" battery/starting problems

Help !!!. Have recently been having starting problems, with the S, over the last last ten days......seems as the weather has dropped a few degree's. The problem, is starting the motor, after being in the garage for more than 24 hours, the battery has not got enough ummmph to turn the motor over fast enough, to fire it up. The motor spins slowly, fires once, the starter motor idler gear spins. If repeated, the exact same happens. If i charge the battery with the Optimate, it shows "Charge" and then Barrery maintain "good" after several hours of charging. The motor with then fire OK after being charged. The charge rate on the display is 14.1v. But even after a several hours of riding/charging, 24 hours later, the battery is back to its "lacking power" to start the motor. The bike is fitted with a Datatool system 3......but the alarm should only take a minimal amount of current, especially only after 24 hours. Any thoughts/experience ??

Rgds

Millie
Old 02-Oct-2003, 16:54
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Its probably the battery not holding its charge.Ducati seem to had a few problems with the "sealed for life" type batteries.I had mine replaced under warranty.My mate Marko had the same prob with his ST4.
Old 02-Oct-2003, 17:12

When I picked up the bike brand new I had exactly the same symptoms 2 miles from the dealership and I was stranded. The AA got it going and it was real struggle to get the thing to go reliably until I got it on charge with the optimate. I daresay without the optimate the same would happen again after afew days because the battery only seems to be just about up to the job of turning it over. The sealed for life 'gel' battery I had on the 'blade last year wouldn't go after three weeks without a run either.
Old 03-Oct-2003, 18:51

My 749s battery lasted approximately 4 months before it required replacing, all the symptoms you had.

At first service the battery was replaced under warranty with no hassles at Ducati London South.
Old 03-Oct-2003, 18:52

Mood: going out to play!
my mate had same prob with his 749s over the summer - back to dealer twice, first time no probs etc etc second time replaced duff battery under warranty - problem solved!!

Hope this helps...