Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Jun-2009, 23:24
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Hell will freeze before I sell the 996!

I've been spending the last year restoring a 'spares or repair' R6, 2004 model.
Took it to bits, rebuilt it selecting useable parts and replacing unuseables (including the engine). Finally got it finished last weekend, although there's still some cosmetics to be sorted, and mot'd yesterday with no probs.

First ride this eve to sample the fruits of my labour and I'd forgotten how lifeless the 600 4's really are! You got to rev the nuts of it and do a flippin river dance on the gear pedal to make it work, and although it goes like a fekin missile once in the sweet spot it's just far too easy and unemotional!

Really chuffed to have got it sorted and now I've got a bike that I can ride whenever I like, lob round a race track, not wake the neighbours up, get covered in road muck, etc...

But it's just cemented my desire to NEVER get rid of my 996.

I love my 996. Lots
Old 04-Jun-2009, 00:01
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
take it we will see you out on it this year then?!
Old 04-Jun-2009, 00:11
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
does this mean you wont be riding the r6 to oulton tomorrow then mate?
or are you coming with us or john
Old 04-Jun-2009, 00:44
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996
I'd forgotten how lifeless the 600 4's really are! You got to rev the nuts of it and do a flippin river dance on the gear pedal to make it work, and although it goes like a fekin missile once in the sweet spot it's just far too easy and unemotional!

But it's just cemented my desire to NEVER get rid of my 996.

I love my 996. Lots

Ed Zackery.

When my 996S got nicked last year, firstly I couldn't find another "special" 748/996 at short notice and secondly, I'd only just got it how I wanted it (Ultimap chip, suspension setup, BP subframe fitted with a mono seat, adjustable clip ons, rearsets etc) and I couldn't face having to start personalising another bike from scratch, so I took the easy option and plumped for a 2006 R6.

Superficially pretty, technically marvellous and outstandingly competent it may have been, but the trashy, thrashy little thing completely failed to move me, and so 6 uninspired months later I did a straight swap with a Honda dealer for a 748R they didn't really know what to do with. Even though the Supersonic Canary has munched its way through 10 rockers in the last 3 years (luckily the previous owner paid for 7 of them), has just presented me with a £1000 servicing and fuelling setup bill, is a pig to ride at anything less than 8 tenths, virtually cripples me on every journey and attracts noise complaints from my neighbours, I can't see myself not owning a 916/748 series bike.

Even though I've owned 916/748 series bikes almost continuously for the last 5 years, I still often find myself going outside just to look at it, and the only thing that curtails these appreciation sessions is the nagging feeling that my neighbours might think I've lost my mind. In common with all true works of art, you continually discover fresh design elements and new aesthetic depths - the way one line flows into the other, the way each individual area is beautiful and well thought out in its own right, yet also forms part of a harmonious whole, the way it can appear sensual yet aggressive at the same time. Plato taught that there is an Ideal Form for everything that exists, which is situated outside of time and space, and what we in this world observe as "reality" are mere ephemeral decaying copies of those perfect objects. If Plato were alive today, I'm sure he would declare that the 916/748 series bikes are the Ideal Form of the motorcycle.

And that's before you've even turned the engine on.......
Old 04-Jun-2009, 08:57
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Similar thoughts here.

When I dropped my 996 last year I bought a GSXR750 for the road intending to keep the 996 for track only, but the Gixxer, well... it's fast and easy to ride but just doesn't feel special.
I finally finished putting the 996 back in road trim, took it out for a blast, and instant grins
Already thinking of selling the Gixxer and I've only had it 3 months

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit