Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Apr-2006, 16:45
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
QB Carbon G/F Fairings - Any Good ???

After the last-but-one rideout peppered my formerly pristine nosecone with stonechips (that's what you get for chasing 999S's about), it's time to think about different fairing panels.

My thinking is that original plastics in top nick are getting difficult to find, and mine are pretty good apart from the nosecone, so I'm going to get the stone chips repaired then into the shed or up the loft with 'em covered in bubblewrap.

I will then need new fairings (which I would need for trackdays anyhow), so, the choices...

QB Carbon Fairings: More than I can afford and tricky to get a really good quality paint job as I understand it.

Ricambi Weiss: Cheap and cheerful, but would need painting

QB Glassfibre Fairings: Half the price of their carbon and I think I read somewhere that their gel coat finish is so good it doesn't need painting and, since it's coloured right the way through, should be more impervious to future stone chips - so these look favourite.

Can anyone confirm the above?
Old 11-Apr-2006, 17:16
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Jools

I have a full set of QB carbon fairings for the RS and I can only say the quality is exceptional. I can't see why there would be a problem painting them though. If their GRP stuff is half as good it will be blinding.

They operate not far from me so if you would like me to take a run in and have a look at the GRP stuff, just let me know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
After the last-but-one rideout peppered my formerly pristine nosecone with stonechips (that's what you get for chasing 999S's about), it's time to think about different fairing panels.

My thinking is that original plastics in top nick are getting difficult to find, and mine are pretty good apart from the nosecone, so I'm going to get the stone chips repaired then into the shed or up the loft with 'em covered in bubblewrap.

I will then need new fairings (which I would need for trackdays anyhow), so, the choices...

QB Carbon Fairings: More than I can afford and tricky to get a really good quality paint job as I understand it.

Ricambi Weiss: Cheap and cheerful, but would need painting

QB Glassfibre Fairings: Half the price of their carbon and I think I read somewhere that their gel coat finish is so good it doesn't need painting and, since it's coloured right the way through, should be more impervious to future stone chips - so these look favourite.

Can anyone confirm the above?
Old 11-Apr-2006, 17:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Thanks John,

I don't know where I got it from but I had a strong impression that painting carbon takes more preparation and careful application if it's not going to flake off again too easily - I think it's all those lucky buggers with 999R's that had some flaky paint problems.

Anyway, I don't have carbon + paintjob money, and I'm sure I saw somewhere that the self coloured gel coat QB G/F stuff is a good quality finish without paint.
Old 11-Apr-2006, 18:44
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Jools..ive just had GF bodywork for my track bike and the fit/general quality is top notch...U2U as I might be able to help with a deal..!

Nat
Old 11-Apr-2006, 21:51
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Hi, QB glass fibre gell coat panels are a good fit and colour match for standard Ducati red. If you tried to match a QB side panel to a Ducati standard top fairing you will see a slight difference as one is painted and one is gell coat. But if you go for a full gell coat fairing set up it will all match and look spot on.

Benefit is no need to pay for a paint job and any scratches still show red as the colour is full thickness and not just surface.

Contact QB and ask for Ian. Mention the DSC and Mark with the carbon 749, may help with the price.

Pic below is my 749s with a track day QB glass fairing and belly pan in gell coat colour. Tank and seat unit are also QB items in Carbon.

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by Carbon749]