Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Mar-2004, 00:35

Any ideas on how best to polish carbon fibre?

Got some DP carbon fibre that has slight surface abrasions on it, spoiling the smooth lacquered finish. Is there any way to renovate/polish these out without removing the parts from the bike and having them professionally ground down and relacquered? They're not deep abrasions.

Thanks!
Rob

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by robracenut]
Old 12-Mar-2004, 10:04
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
An American-made liquid polish called McGuire's is used to polish abrasions out of perspex aircraft windows. Should be suitable for light marks on the clear-coat over the c/f.
Try a bit out carefully tho' to start with.
Old 13-Mar-2004, 19:52
Montjuic

Mood: got yella fever!
polish

robracenut my bike fell of its stand recently had sratches in the carbon side deflecter, i polished small scratches out using atsol metal polish paste and buffed it up with car wax.it work a treat niggs
Old 13-Mar-2004, 23:56

Thanks guys! -- will try both (carefully!).
Couldn't find either product on the 'net but I guess Belthead means 'Meguiars' (www.meguiars.co.uk) and Niggs means 'Autosol'??

What wax did you use Niggs? Any kind in particular? (Sorry to hear your bike fell off it's stand btw -- hope there's not too much damage!)
--Rob
Old 14-Mar-2004, 20:37
Montjuic

Mood: got yella fever!
scratches

any car wax go carfully with the artosol it dulls the resin but the wax brings up. even deep scratches will cum out in time, depends on the depth of the gell niggs
Old 19-Mar-2004, 11:18

Just to confirm I've used both of the above methods, and both work well. The Meguiar's PlastX is designed to restore and polish clear plastic , and that brings the carbon clear coat up really nicely to a mirror finish, while removing light marks.

The Autosol metal polish paste is amazing. Does a great job of removing deeper scratches and actually leaves a nice shine itself.

I didn't use the car wax cos I thought the wax dulled the shine of the lacquer a little.

Top tips, guys! :-)

Rob