Ducati Sporting Club UK
Alarms and Related Security
For the discussion of Alarms, Immobilisers, Trackers, Locks, Ground Anchors and other forms of motorcycle security.

Old 24-Oct-2005, 18:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Spyball Removal

Following my experiences yesterday I must say that I am sorely tempted to get the Spyball alarm and imobiliser removed and put firmly in the bin. How difficult a job is it to remove one? Is it a job best done by a professional?
Old 24-Oct-2005, 18:15
Ducati Corse

If you're determined to do it then Madmav's your man for advice. Two things though:
1 Does your insurance company require an alarm?
2 When it wouldn't reset did you try pushing the bike down the road a bit? Microwave radiation from mobile phone masts etc. can interfere with the signal from the handset to the alarm. Happened to Red-leader in France last year.
Old 24-Oct-2005, 18:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Webby,

It's not a big job, but it does depend on how many circuits they have spliced into. I have avoided having mine cut into the indicators etc. for exactly the same reason.

You'll have a power feed, proably fused. A wire that detects the ignition is swiched on and probably two others that are spliced into the kill circuit and start relays.

You have to remove that lot and rejoin the circuits that the imob' open to kill the bike. E.g. stater relays, kill switch.

Hope this helps, rgds, Rob
Old 24-Oct-2005, 19:33
500SD

Webby

I had problems with the Spyball on my bike last year. I just traced its main feed wire (it's soldered into the main ignition feed - somewhere beneath the insulation tape around the headstock of the bike), and disconnected it. The wire then feeding the ignition was just reconnected to its original live feed. It was shockingly easy to do, and took me all of five minutes!

Nothing else needed removing. The alarm/siren etc. is still in place on the bike. I've had no problems since!

Steve
Old 25-Oct-2005, 09:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Thanks guys obviously I need to have a good nose round the bike!!!
Old 07-Apr-2014, 11:31
Bikes: ST2, Custom Harley and a Fightered Exup

Mood: pretty chilled. Even when it comes to the Duc giving me Grief :)
Rob,
I had the SpyBall AM/8510 fitted to my ST2.
Took it off because it didn't work and kept flattening the battery plus the four indicators would stay on even with the key out the ignition.

So out it came. The unit sits under the seat and was spliced into the loom next to the computer. Bike ran ok when it was fitted, i followed the wires and cut each one. Started the bike, it was fine. Removed the unit and tidied the wiring and now the bike wont start.
It'll turn over all day long but wont fire up, pump primes up when the ignition is switched on ok.
Is there a separate immobiliser or something elsewhere on the bike that isn't letting it start?
Thanx in advance
Dave