Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:16
Montjuic

Re: the police.

If they tug you and start going on about race cans.

If they dont have any markings, the only way they can test them them in with a decible kit and coppers never carry them.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:21
Big Twin

They could use their professional discretion on the matter and write you up for excessive noise etc.

Then you'd have to prove they were within the limit at your own cost, recoverable from the court if found not guilty. Same applies even if they're e / bsau marked.

If they can use professional judgement to determine your speed without equipment, they can certainly get away with writing you up for loud cans.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:23
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
I know the old "friendly" MOT garage, casn at home etc, routine and have used it many times.

But, if you can legally get race can's MOT'd then

So, lets say that you are stopped by the police who do not have a decibel meter with them .... just play dumb about "all these confusing markings and the law", after all I'm just a biker
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:26
Big Twin

"ignorance is not a defence"

I think it depends where you get stopped, here in hampshire they're razor sharp on small plates, but seem to let loud pipes & black visors go. Then again, if you're riding like an ass on bald tyres, prepare for a fisting.

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by Mr_S]
Old 04-Apr-2005, 22:48
Big Twin

I've pulled along side coppers in a car at traffic lights with a Termi can on my 749s. They ignored me, but I was very careful to drop the revs and coast up to them and then just pull away at low revs and the noise is not so bad. If I'd blipped the throttle or let the revs increase to a more normal level between gears then they might have taken notice. Maybe I was jsut lucky that time ... they are usually quite keen on "safety checks" around here. If you get pulled over drop the revs, kill the engine ASAP and pray! :P
Old 05-Apr-2005, 00:27
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rushjob
There has been a change in the MOT regs for exhausts from June 2004 , The new regs are simpler on paper but also open to more interpretation

All Systems The Exhaust system should be in good condition (no rust holes / complete and secure ) and be correctly fitted (ie: not blowing from the joints ) durable repairs are acceptable providing the exhaust is structually sound.

There should be no leaks which cause excessive noise

The next part I will quote direct from the testers manual

Section 7.1 reason for rejection 2

" A silencer that is in such a condition OR is of such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition "

IF the EXHAUST is marked NOT FOR ROAD USE or TRACK USE ONLY or similar words it should fail an MOT.

OOOOOH, goody-does that mean I can get a daytime MOT for the TZ then?? After all it only produces 104db-"but they all sound that loud officer, these ARE the standard exhaust's"
No? hmmm, thought not...........

John
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:05
Mille

The VOSA website quotes the criteria for the exhaust to pass the MOT as "complete, secure, correct type and not too noisy." Have spoken to the tester who does my MOT and he says that if the pipe has no markings it's down to the discretion of the tester as to whether it's too loud. Anything stamped " not for road use"etc. will fail.
Old 06-Apr-2005, 10:11
Mille

Mood: Erratic
Quote:
Originally posted by desmojen
I got my bike mot'd on good friday with race cans on it.
I spoke to the tester on the phone previously and he told me that the law had just changed to what you said.
If the can does not have any markings on it which say 'not for road use' or 'race use only', then subject to the discretion of the tester it can pass.
However, it is a very new thing and some stations may not yet be aware of it.
There's certainly no way I could have got through otherwise as I have no standard cans anymore, and even if I did, they would not fit 50mm headers!
I fitted the db killers off e bay and they work a treat, went straight through the mot with no problems.

Whats a db killer?
Old 06-Apr-2005, 10:20
Mille

Mood: Erratic
Just found them on ebay, that looks intresting. Which ones did you get, what cans did you put them in and have you got a photo?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 06-Apr-2005, 10:42
Big Twin

Here's Jen's thread on dbkillers, there's some photo's of mine on the desk and fitted in the thread.