Ducati Sporting Club UK
Alarms and Related Security
For the discussion of Alarms, Immobilisers, Trackers, Locks, Ground Anchors and other forms of motorcycle security.

Old 09-Nov-2005, 23:11
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by mark749s
mine did the same today, farting and spluttering engine light on managed to get to where i was going but did not think it would. I was in the very heavy rain on sunday, it ran well but not today. left the bike for an hour and then it sparked up as if nothing was wrong. is there a water deflector to protect the front coil?
mine is 4 1/2 months old 04 model 749s done 5800 miles

mark

Don't know about hte newer versions, but the 2003 749 had a rectangular cutout in front of the horizontal coil. Useful to get to it to remove it without having to undo the 3 allen screws on the Vpiece, but not so handy for keeping the wet out. I had a Casoli carbon Vpiece which was as modified design to block off that aperture. You do have to be careful still when cleaning or you can hose water down on the coil.

I would recommend occassional removal of both coils, clean and spray silicone n and around them (Italia in Lincoln use Wurth silicone spray for that) and then use "red rubber grease" around the rubber seals to keep the moisture out.

The new design coils have a flying lead that gets the 3 pin plug away from the weather by allowing it to tuck away behind the fairing.

If I've been out in bad weather then I definately have the front coil out and dry it, grease it etc.
Old 09-Nov-2005, 23:15
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Bibjo
Am I making a mistake buying my new 749???

The 749 is an awesome machine. I've had mine for over 2 years now and this is the first time I have not been hankering after "something else". I reckon if I lost it, then I would buy another. Yes it has a few niggles, but then it is a Ducati and they are better now than they have been at various times in the past.

Bottom line is - If you want reliability you buy Japanese (or BMW), but you don't buy Ducati for THAT reason.
Old 09-Nov-2005, 23:39
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
They all do that Sir..............
Old 10-Nov-2005, 00:05
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by yeti
They all do that Sir..............

We like to call it "character"
Old 20-Nov-2005, 00:35
Mille

got it back from the dealer, have had the 6k sevice and 2 new coils and throttle bodies fitted, lets see how these are over the winter, fine i am sure