Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2006, 13:26
Montjuic

gremlins again

I've got an irritating and potentially dangerous problem with the ST2.
When I give it full welly (and more often at higher speeds - which makes overttaking hairy) the engine cuts out .. feels like fuel starvation and the tacho dropps to zero (very rapidly), mostly this lasts for a few seconds then the motor picks up again. Another possibly associated fault is the neutral light being constantly on (tho dim but brightens when actually in neutral).

I thought it may be dirt in the injection system at first so I added cleaner to the fuel which seemed to solve the problem (for a week or so).
Now its doing it again and the redex has no effect (tho I'm now sure the problem is electrical in nature).

Anyone any ideas .. I'm gonna do some electrical contact cleaning and see if that helps later.

[Edited on 22-1-2006 by wayned]
Old 22-Jan-2006, 13:50
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Has your bike got the interlock with the sidestand and neutral light?
If so, that could be part of the problem as that system looks to see if the bike is in neutral and the faint glow suggests a partial short circuit to earth somewhere in that circuit.
I have also known problems with glowing warning lights to be associated with rectifier problems which when this occurred on my ST2 made the engine falter when revved hard.