Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Jan-2006, 00:37
Montjuic

Mood: crank it and bank it
Upgrades

Got a 749 with full titanium system and power commander but was looking to see what was the next best value for money upgrade from the following:

1) Magnessium Wheels
2) Lightened Flywheel
3) Slipper Clutch
4) Wavy Brakes Discs

cheers
Old 02-Jan-2006, 13:13
Montjuic

Anyone who has been in the same position or who has had any experience of what effect and benefits these and other mods that havent been mentioned would have please feel free to reply, happ new year to all!!
Old 02-Jan-2006, 13:57
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
well if you use the bike on track a decent slipper clutch will make a big difference especially if you are already locking up the rear i have a stm evo and love it.

never have lighter wheels but will obviously make a difference to handling in particular.

from what i know i would go for the slipper
Old 02-Jan-2006, 14:07
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Cant see the lighter wheels helping, in fact for the road the expensive damage potential is higher particularly with magnesium.

I think the slipper is good for both track and road. Eliminating lock up. The potential of better metal in a slipper may also make it lighter, thus helping with the flywheel issue.

I dont see any benefit of wavey discs...........better pads maybe..and they are cheaper.

If your looking for more performance............i just know someone will say get a 999. and to be honest if you purchased all the above your in that sort of money territory anyway.
Old 02-Jan-2006, 18:34
Mille

Mood: red and proud !!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by gimpboy450
Anyone who has been in the same position or who has had any experience of what effect and benefits these and other mods that havent been mentioned would have please feel free to reply, happ new year to all!!

get a 999 you asked

seriously spend your money on tuition at a track.. 100 times better than any "bling" for going faster/safer !!!

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by chris999]
Old 02-Jan-2006, 18:42
Montjuic

Thanks for all your feedback but have any of you any of the above modifications to your bikes or are these just opinoins from what has been read?

From what i understand putting magnesium wheels on the bike will reduce the weight by 5kg but this is unsprung weight which equates to 30kgs on the bike so obvouisly this will make a difference to turn in and every other handling aspect and performance how can that not be a good thing??
Old 02-Jan-2006, 18:48
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Play around with the gearing, 2 or 3 teeth up on the rear, and pay to have the suspension set up professionally.

Then when you reach the limits of the bike start looking at expensive stuff like Mag wheels etc.
Old 02-Jan-2006, 18:54
Montjuic

cheers carbon 749, i have done already what you have suggest and now want more!!! but before i start spending money i just wanted to check with people that had done the mods already t see which were most effective??
Old 02-Jan-2006, 18:54
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by gimpboy450
Thanks for all your feedback but have any of you any of the above modifications to your bikes or are these just opinoins from what has been read?

From what i understand putting magnesium wheels on the bike will reduce the weight by 5kg but this is unsprung weight which equates to 30kgs on the bike so obvouisly this will make a difference to turn in and every other handling aspect and performance how can that not be a good thing??

How much do you weigh? go on a diet!

Ive got the slipper, and the light weight wheels (999R)
Full 57mm termi and pc111R..............They all make a difference, but people still pass me on the track!

I ride a heavy pan thing on the road..........now there is a challenge, (doing it safely n all)

You have to put it in perspective. If you get summat cos youve got the money, or you just fancy it...well dont ask, or get put off by us lot!

If you are asking, then really a lot of it is just expense that you could do a track day, or have lessons....both on road and track.

Thats life........
Old 02-Jan-2006, 19:02
Montjuic

Andy not sure if the 999r get the magnesium wheels from what i have look at they come with aluminium forged which are only about 1kg less than stock which arent the same as the magnessium wheels.

Obviously lessons whilst doing track days help and i always do these at the begining of the season and i definately agree i need to loss weight its an instant way of increasing performance,
ps i weigh 70kgs...i know what a fat boy!!!