Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 20-Jun-2011, 17:35
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicle
Anglesy race was declared a wet race, but it was not wet, it was not even damp if a wet rule was enforced for that race the outcome would have been different and a pair of wets would have been wasted.

agree and it would add an extra 'choice' for us novices to make. But IMHO they should have stopped it at the red flag; if not long enough to decare the result then a couple of laps or whatever it took to complete or just call it.

but then others seemed to be going ok, Phil loved it! and the boys at the front seemed to manage....

having never used wets I'd like to try them, see what they are like.
Old 20-Jun-2011, 19:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
I cant for a minute remember over the seasons how many races we have actually had where wets would have been a serious option - but I would speculate that there have probably been less than 10 in all.

As has been already stated earlier in this thread, it is potentially more dangerous to have a situation where one might have people with insufficient experience ending up on inappropriate tyres out there, by giving them a choice of tyre. At some point after west were introduced, someone will then put forward the idea of intermeadiate tyres as well and that again raises the cost of cometition. If all riders are on the same control tyre then it is the same for everyone and as has been shown it forces lap times to slow, which is safer.

Ultimately if you get caught out in a deluge on the road, do you park the bike and wait for it to dry out completely before heading home? Of course not - you slow down and get on with it!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 19:32
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
My 2p's worth-when Johnny B was racing my TZ we had 3 sets of wheels, wets, inters, and full slicks-caused amazing problems when the weather was variable. The track is drying out so I think we should be on slicks-no no, leave it on inters. Hells teeth, it's starting to drizzle again-lets put the wets on. So you go out on wets, most of the rest are still on slicks, the track is drying-and you come last-and trash a perfectly good pair of wets...........
Sometimes having too many options is a bad thing.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 20:14
Mille
Bikes: DD 620, 998 Matrix, 500 Pantah, Honda 350 K4, Drixton 500 Honda, Triumph 1050.

Mood: Depends on how many crashes I have!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
My 2p's worth-when Johnny B was racing my TZ we had 3 sets of wheels, wets, inters, and full slicks-caused amazing problems when the weather was variable. The track is drying out so I think we should be on slicks-no no, leave it on inters. Hells teeth, it's starting to drizzle again-lets put the wets on. So you go out on wets, most of the rest are still on slicks, the track is drying-and you come last-and trash a perfectly good pair of wets...........
Sometimes having too many options is a bad thing.

John

John,

This is my experiance also. It worked for us when we did endurance racing, and worked for me at Knockhill when I rode the 400, but then I usually left the house with them on for the weekend!!!
But for most it causes stress at the last minute due to having to make the choice, and then effects you during the race if you feel you are on the wrong tyre, this is worse for the more novice rider/racer.

Steve
Old 20-Jun-2011, 20:22
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
And my 2p's.
The main Ethos of DD was to get people from doing trackdays to get into racing as cheaply as possible with rules that did not allow the person with deeper pockets to buy go faster tuned engines etc.

To add full wets, spare wheels will etc, cost is a minimum of £300-400 plus, how many times would you use them?? once, twice, maybe three times.

Some riders would put wets on when they are not needed, some would go all out in the wet and still end up in the kitty litter.

Some riders say that it is a safety issue??? sorry I for one do not buy that, I have raced with wets & with out wets, and belive me it is down to how you ride, I have beaten riders on bigger bikes who went out on wets while I went out on my standard race tyres (207gp's) at the time, a lot of it is all in the mind. The reason some one ends up falling is one of three things, too hard on the brakes, to ham fisted on the throttle, and leaning the bike to far over rather than hanging off the bike.

You are all on the same tyres, the smoother you ride the faster you go, the faster you go the hotter the tyres get, the hotter the tyres get, the faster you can go.

One fact regarding road tyres, they are made to be ridden in the wet, if they were not capable they would be illegal.

My own toughts would be that class "B" would dwindle if you allowed wets to be added, my self and others spoke to three people wanting to join DD next season, or later this season if they can be ready, and the reason they wanted to join, "Because it is a cheap, friendly race series".

Like I said, just my 2p's worth.

Chris
Old 20-Jun-2011, 20:47
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
[quote=bradders]agree and it would add an extra 'choice' for us novices to make. But IMHO they should have stopped it at the red flag;

I agree Paul because I was leading by about 8 to 10 bike lengths at that point.. And that lead from 5th on the grid in those condition was bottom clenchingly earnt!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 21:24
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
...The main Ethos of DD was to get people from doing trackdays to get into racing as cheaply as possible...

Most people who are regular TD goers have a set of wets and know when to use them but I see you point.

The problem isn't having wets or knowing when to use them but when the scenario happens were you are 20 minutes from a race being called and it starts shower, do you choose wets or not! and if you do then will you get all the bolts tightend correctly in the panic to get the wets on and certainly at a place like Anglesey where it dries very very quickly you can trash a set of wets in one race. Fair enough if someone can afford wets and the bloke next to him can't then they may have an unfair advantage but I've said it before, for a novice trying to get into racing your aren't the cheapest club. It's cheaper for me to race with W100 and also PDMCC. So if someone can afford to race at every one of the DD rounds they can certainly afford a set of wets.

Paul
Old 20-Jun-2011, 21:28
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
One point I missed earlier - on the front tyre there is a strip on the shoulder that is almost completely tread-free.
This wasn't the case on the Pirellis that we used before.
So at a certain angle of lean we're running on slicks.
How can that make safe RACING on a wet track?
We're not talking riding home carefully when the heavens open, we're talking about corners like Coram, Gerards, Clearways etc etc where you have to carry some lean.

Maybe we should be allowed to cut the tyres? Then those who think the tyres could do with more water dispersal for the wet could do so?

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 20-Jun-2011, 21:58
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL
Most people who are regular TD goers have a set of wets and know when to use them but I see you point.

The problem isn't having wets or knowing when to use them but when the scenario happens were you are 20 minutes from a race being called and it starts shower, do you choose wets or not! and if you do then will you get all the bolts tightend correctly in the panic to get the wets on and certainly at a place like Anglesey where it dries very very quickly you can trash a set of wets in one race. Fair enough if someone can afford wets and the bloke next to him can't then they may have an unfair advantage but I've said it before, for a novice trying to get into racing your aren't the cheapest club. It's cheaper for me to race with W100 and also PDMCC. So if someone can afford to race at every one of the DD rounds they can certainly afford a set of wets.

Paul

It may be cheaper for you to race with your local club(s), but what you are forgetting is that the DD series covers and caters for riders from all over the UK as best it can, ie Brands, Snet, Pembrey, Castle Coombe, Cadwell, Angelsey to name but as few, and to that extent it is cheap.

One thing a lot of people are missing is that nearly all of the great one make series with control tyres only ran with one not two types of tyre.

Chris
Old 20-Jun-2011, 23:58
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
it's always a fun debate on here when it comes to it. yes it makes it slightly cheaper, but in reality how much as above many will have spare wheels and have enough sense to be able to make a decision on what tyres to use.

Those saying that novice could get it wrong are not giving people much credit. yes, we all make incorrect tyre choice when given options, but equally we all make incorrect decisions on how hard to push in wet weather, especially novices?? DD is not the only place novices start and yet they manage to make decisions in all these other classes without too much issue. its all part of the learning curve and fun of racing!

I have now raced in 3 low powered twin races series and would pick the series with wets every time. CB500 is cheaper and more constraimed than DD but they can run controlled wets as well. at 145 set it's not breaking the bank and they last and they are Flippin AWESOME!!!

I love ducatis and would race back in DD if they had wets, simple fact, I also reckon that for every person who says they are joining DD because its cheap they would probably still join if wets were an option but I bet there are more people wont join because they are not!!