Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Nov-2005, 12:16

Loose Tank?

If you've ever taken your tank off, then you'll probably have deduced this already - read on and congratulate yourself! Otherwise:

Last weekend, mid-corner (and whilst it was supporting much of my weight), my tank came loose. Which was slightly alarming. Luckily the back-end of the tank was still fixed, so all that happened was the front pivoted about half an inch until it came to rest against the recessed ignition barrel. So I rode home slowly, and called my (excellent) dealer.

Anyway, it transpires that the front fixing had fractured. Now depending on how this happens, it's entirely possible for something metal to drop into the airbox. And from there it's just a short trip into the top end, which isn't where you'd choose to store a piece of shrapnel. Especially when on the move.

So the moral of the story is: If the tank suddenly slips, then stop. Quickly. And don't move off again until it's sorted! Here endeth today's lesson!
Old 07-Nov-2005, 12:28
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
In Rattlers case an exspensive lesson from what I recall.
On my 996 I have filters that clip on the top of each bellmouth
Old 07-Nov-2005, 12:34
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
The tank fixing on the 996 is a bit dodgy, isn't it? I've had trouble with mine too. Fordie (our great BHC leader) fixed it for me at the time but I had no idea it could have caused serious damage if I'd failed to attend to it.
Old 07-Nov-2005, 14:26

Where did you get the filters from? I think I'd enjoy their peace-of-mind now!

Fair play to the fantastic Pro-Twins Ducati though - they sent someone round to my house with a box of tools and parts, and fixed it in my garage! And they wouldn't take a penny for it.
Old 07-Nov-2005, 14:44
MotoGP God

I got them from message board poster Khushy as he got a bulk order in from the states, he was listing them on Ebay at one time.
Old 07-Nov-2005, 15:02
MotoGP God

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread...03&pid=5625 9

These are the ones on my 996.
Old 07-Nov-2005, 15:25
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
I know from experience that the one on the 998 is a little longer than the 916/996 one but they all work just as well as the other. Maybe they were worried about the older one's slipping out, dunno, but mine broke at the weld and I (well PeteB actually!) found the sticky out bit still embedded tightly in the mounting grommet in the front of the airbox. As you say, a recipe for disaster, and one that has happened more than "rarely" by the sound of it too
Old 07-Nov-2005, 16:05

Great, thanks. I'll have a look and see what I can find.
Old 07-Nov-2005, 16:11

Oh, and the guy who came to fix it said that over the years they'd had 'about half a dozen' cases where either a piece of the bracket or one of the screws had been eaten by the engine. Which had promptly shredded everything in and above the affected cylinder. I'd really rather that didn't happen six inches away from my 'undertray'!
Old 07-Nov-2005, 17:40
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Yep on my 748 my tank gradually moved forward slowly thus the steering damper gradually put a gouge in the tank

My dealer said it was down to my riding style and i should keep my weight off the tank seemed the only way to stop it to was to change or another new tank be required again

Not a very good design at all for tank mounting