Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 06-May-2005, 19:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Next AMA round - Infineon Raceway

The Yanks have a habit to sell venue names to the highest bidders. Hence what used to be known as Sears Point is now called Infineon Raceway. Still, it's an awesome track, even better than Laguna Seca, IMO. Laguna is famous, of course, for the Corkscrew. Other than that, the track is ordinary.

I have a certain affection with Sears Point as it did my first ever trackday. Here is what some of the riders say:

Quote:
Infineon Raceway will host the Kawasaki AMA Superbike Showdown, presented by Supercuts, May 13-15 on the twisting 12-turn, 2.22-mile road course.

Infineon Raceway sat down with several top AMA riders and asked the question:

WHAT SPECIFIC CHALLENGES DOES INFINEON RACEWAY PRESENT THAT YOU DON’T SEE AT ANY OTHER RACETRACK?

Eric Bostrom (Ducati Austin): This is the most physically demanding track we go to each year. There are no spots where you can concentrate or just take a deep breath. I can’t say that’s bad because we all like challenges, and this is the ultimate one. This is a track that will reward you if you’re in good shape, too. It’s hard to keep your focus for 28 laps here so you have to be ready both mentally and physically.

Neil Hodgson (Ducati Austin): I’ve only been on the track once (testing in March) but it’s one of my top 10 tracks in the world. It has all the characteristics that you want in a track. It’s the ultimate test for a rider. I’ve watched this track 1,000 times on video but that doesn’t do it justice. You just don’t realize how tough the track is until you ride a few laps.

Jamie Hacking (Yamaha): The one thing we see at Infineon (Raceway) that we don’t see anywhere else is the demanding nature of the track. It’s a good thing that it is so difficult to ride, and it’s not just physical. It’s as tough mentally as it is physically. There is nowhere to rest on the track, but it’s become so much more rider friendly the last few years that we’re not afraid to take risks.

Mat Mladin (Suzuki): There is no better challenge for a rider than at Infineon (Raceway). It’s got elevation changes, tight corners and a number of other challenges. I love it. Any rider who says he doesn’t like a challenge like that is very different than me. That’s why we do this for a living.

Aaron Yates (Suzuki): There are so many direction changes from right-left-right-left and you’ve got to be able to flick the bike back and forth while trying to set-up the next turn. It’s tough, but it’s fun if you can get that down.

Got to remember not to miss this one!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit