Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Apr-2006, 15:42
Mille

Ducati Pantah 500

Hi there...anyone there that can give me some help or guideance?

I've just hit 40 and want to turn my motorcycling clock back to when I saw my first Ducati at APS Motorcycles In Stokes Croft, Bristol (sadly ceased trading years ago).

I have hit upon the idea of buying a Pantah 500, but have no idea how much they cost, what they are like to ride or what they cost to keep up together.

From memory the one I saw back in 1981 was silver with red decals , and this is the one I want.

So if you currently own one, habe owned one or know anything about this modeal let me know. I have seen one listed on www.vintagebike.co.uk for £1750, but if you know of any others for sale this would be a great help.

Cheers,
Old 24-Apr-2006, 16:43
GTL

They turn up occasionally on E-Bay (sods law, you've just missed a couple) - might be worth contacting this guy to see what his reserve was. I think for £1750 you'd expect a tip-top example.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1981-Ducati-De...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 24-Apr-2006, 16:46
Big Twin

There is one that I've seen a few times over the last few years in a small petrol station at Kirkby Stephen. Dont know if its for sale but will ask next time I visit.
Old 24-Apr-2006, 21:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
We have had a pantah 500, and would not recommend it.

The 600 (583) engine (and hydraulic clutch !) is sooooo much better.
The problem is really the weight of the fairing and seat unit - they are just too heavy for a 500, but the 583 engine copes with it all much better, as it has significantly bigger valves than the 'modern' ss and monster 583 engines.
They are also not very sought after ... depending upon someone hankering after a youthful memory more than anything else.
BUT ... the handling is superb on all of them, and the brakes and suspension are also good.
good luck

phil
Old 24-Apr-2006, 22:52
Montjuic

In 1981, the 500 Pantah was a cracking bike, but the 600 was definately a big improvement. The original 500 had a weak gearbox, and although they've probably all been updated to 600 spec by now, it's worth checking. But as Phil says, the 600 is a much better bet to fall in love with!
But at the risk of being turfed off the site... If you want a classic sports bike that runs on skinny 18" cross-plies, I'd go for a 350LC!!!...... I'll get me coat!

[Edited on 24-4-2006 by Washboard]

[Edited on 24-4-2006 by Washboard]
Old 24-Apr-2006, 23:11
Big Twin

I had a 600 for a few years and basically - loved it to bits.
Problems? Alternator casing was sand cast and liable to have **** still attached to inside - so sometimes wore through the alternator windings. It only does it once and then you clean the inside of the casings down.
Look for rewires cos the electrics were...ahem...temperamental at times so a rewire would be a positive thing (no pun intended).
Oil light switch and neutral switch prone to failing now and again but a doddle to replace.
Second gear was suspect on a batch.
But please don't let any of that put you off.
The fun side was the flickability of em, and the ability to undertake a 1200 kwack on Runcorn expressway long bend. Aaahhh dreamy dream dream.
Original rear shocks were marzocci air and one of the first mods was to fit a balance between em.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 14:38
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Had a 500 for 12 years, which was my main (only) form of transport for a few of these and did a few club racing meetings in proddie and open classes on it (ie it had a hard life!) and overall thought it was a superb bike, but suffered in comparison to the 600 with some parts (gearbox, clutch and brakes spring to mind) not quite up to the job. Weak points on the 500: suspect gearbox (got through two), cure is to fit 600 box; clutch not up the job under hard acceleration, cure is to fit big clutch conversion; and a bit asthmatic at the top end on standard pipes and air filter, cure is K+N filters and aftermarket pipe(s) though would be surprised if any still running on original pipes - tended to rot from the inside). Don't get me wrong, not saying bilke is unreliable but will suffer if ridden hard all the time, which is kind of inevitable with a 110-115 top end. Good points included the electrics (never failed once on me), the handling and found mine generally easy to live with. No idea on current values but when I traded mine in in 96 prices were around £1000 to £1600, depending on condition. If you do end up buying one I've got a manual and a few original spares if you need them.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 15:04
Mille

Hi chaps,

Thanks for all your comments...really appreciated. I am buying the bike mainly for the looks and to bring back the happy memories of my late teens!

I didn't know a 600 was made so will start looking for one as you seem to think that was a better bike. Will let you know when I've found one to add to my ST3 and 748. Cheers, Steve.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 16:29
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Could try giving Tony a call at Brancatto Engineering, he still does a lot of service work on the earlier Duactis and may know of a customer that might be selling.

to find his contact details follow the link in my signature.
Old 25-Apr-2006, 17:17
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
There are some real bargains around. This Pantah 600 just sold on eBay for only £800!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1