Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Aug-2006, 14:11

Mood: Perpetual excitement
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
As much as I love Ducatis (I have 4) I can't help thinking that you would be better off with a Honda CB500. The CB5 is eminently suited to this sort of use.

I am not saying the M620 won't handle it but, would you really want to subject a lovely new 620 to this sort of treatment? The 620 will be reliable providing it is looked after but, IME no Ducati tolerates abuse well and the chances are (no offence intended) given that you are a complete biking novice, the bike will suffer. A 5 year old £1500 CB5 would be better for you to cut your tetth on, it won't be worth much so you will not lose much through depreciation brought on by the ravages of miles, weather and falling off.

Once you've got some experience under your belt - buy a Monster, keep it for fun & good weather days...still keep using the CB5 for hacking on.

Thanks for the sensible advice. Saved me a lot of money and heartache I reckon by dragging me back to reality

Think I will get hold of a Jap for the winter miles, then in Spring '07...

...whoo hoo!!!!

So, Bandit 600 or CB500 until Spring?
Old 10-Aug-2006, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Hopefully RedRuth will reply to this thread as she specifically went out and got herself a Monster 620 at the end of last year for riding in the winter. By all accounts its coped with it very well, she also takes it on tours of various parts of the country, like the Lake District. http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=34205

Links to pics of Ruthies 620 all loaded up

Looks good!
Old 10-Aug-2006, 14:36
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
going to get lynched now but here goes... have you seen the yamaha MT-03?

or combining the sensible posts previous - get a cheap 600 monster - there was one for sale on the board here just serviced for 1,750 or near offer - if i knew how to link i would. Good luck with the test.
Old 10-Aug-2006, 14:37
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
I am not saying the M620 won't handle it but, would you really want to subject a lovely new 620 to this sort of treatment? The 620 will be reliable providing it is looked after but, IME no Ducati tolerates abuse well and the chances are (no offence intended) given that you are a complete biking novice, the bike will suffer. A 5 year old £1500 CB5 would be better for you to cut your tetth on, it won't be worth much so you will not lose much through depreciation brought on by the ravages of miles, weather and falling off.

I must say I don't agree - got a used monster 620 as my first bike just over 2 years ago and found it brilliant. Just could never get on with the riding position so traded it for the multi a year later - never looked back. Would recommend either as a first bike with no hesitation, especially now they have the light action clutch.

Yeah, the engine paint does peel - but has nothing to do with winter riding. Mine peeled in spite of not having seen salt, religiously washed and covered in F365. So now I don't bother too much with the washing just make sure its lubed etc and ride it.
Old 10-Aug-2006, 15:30
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Get the Multi or the Monster. Never mind any of this Jap stuff. I put 42,000 miles on my multi in 18 months and that was two winters. No problems and always scrubbed up ok.

Mike
Old 10-Aug-2006, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi600
Get the Multi or the Monster. Never mind any of this Jap stuff. I put 42,000 miles on my multi in 18 months and that was two winters. No problems and always scrubbed up ok.

Mike

Hmmm - that sounds good....

What is your opinion on a Monster as a first bike?
Old 10-Aug-2006, 15:59
888 at Last !!!

If I could only have one bike it would have to be a monster. Best if you can have a few bikes, but Monsters are great. They are user friendly and make a great first bike. I do 500 miles a week just getting to work and back and am currently using my wifes 600 Monster and I just love it.

Mike
Old 10-Aug-2006, 16:15
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Agree with twpd here. My 750ie Sport saw continuous action for three years, all year, all weather. The finish suffered terribly, despite spraying Scott Protector on it and hosing it down after salty roads; I feel horribly guilty at treating a Ducati that way. A cheap hack is the only way forward here, get one and, if you can afford it, get a nice M620 for playing. London roads are a harsh playground for any nice bike.

O0ps, forgot - more importantly, welcome to the DSC. A double Jack Daniels for me, might make my poorly foot feel better!

Last edited by Loz : 10-Aug-2006 at 16:19.
Old 10-Aug-2006, 16:36
888 at Last !!!

I can't understand why people want to ride round on a 'hack' (the term indicates seen better days to me) at a time of year when you you need the best you can get to compensate for the **** roads and other prevailing conditions and the dumb blind drivers etc. Sorry but thats just how I feel. Get the monster Sprezza. If you get a Honda you wont want to clean it, so would you rather ride a dirty Ducati which rides like a dream and may just save your life this winter or do you want to ride some dirty old Jap bike which may let you down. Remember two years unlimited mileage warranty and roadside assistance with all new Ducatis.

Mike
Old 10-Aug-2006, 16:44

Thanks again for the continuing comments.

Might this be a compromise?

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=31881

Loz: