Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Oct-2006, 11:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners
Don't think 996 is taking malicious or smug pleasure in somebody else’s misfortune Jools, more stating a fact really.

Just a question, hence the three question marks, since it wasn't clear to me from the original post. It's good to have 996 confirm that he would not take any pleasure in somebody taking a financial pasting through their choice of a 999.

On the other hand, ever since the 999 was introduced it has had many detractors, many of whom have made it perfectly clear that they can't wait to see it's demise, will not buy another Ducati until the 999 is shelved and would rub their hands with glee the day that it was taken off the market. Nearly all of these detractors have been owners of.....well, 996's and the like, so I thought it was a fair question to ask.

Personally, with my ST and my 'antique' 888, the issue doesn't really affect me, but if I had the money for another bike I wouldn't baulk at a T9 since I have always considered them to be a bold and very striking design that I like a lot. Love them or hate them, they can't be accused of being bland and if Ducati means anything to me it's about being brave enough to stand out against the herd and make their own statements. If it were not so, Ducati certainly have the technical savvy to have competed in the marketplace with an IL4 of their own to compete against the Japanese but all Ducati would be then is a 'me too' manufacturer with no distinguishing characteristics, and I believe it is the distinguishing characteristics of the big twin, desmo valves, dry clutch, trellis frame etc that we all so admire.

The other thing that I still don't get is the rush to have the latest, greatest. We all know that there are very, very few people on this board (perhaps one or two racers amongst us) that can use anywhere near the potential of a 999. Effectively most of us are only about half as good as the bike - so there is plenty of performance potential sitting there going to waste on a standard 999. I've never understood the Japanese inspired thing that dictates something is obselete as soon as something that is a kilo lighter and a few bhp more powerful comes along, and yet each year, driven by this marketing hype, people rush off to buy more and more of something that they can't use

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 06-Oct-2006, 11:37
Ducati Corse

Cool Hmmmm ...

I agree with a lot of what you say Jools however you're missing a key part of motorcycle ownership for me and that's how a bike makes you feel - not just whether you can use the performance or not.

I love the 916 shape and always have to look over my sholder walking away from one. I love the moment of opening the garage door and seeing the twin termis glinting as the garage lights up. The 999 shape never lit those fires for me however I'm hoping the 1098/1200 does so I can return to Ducati ownership.

So you see it's not about bigger or better or newer - it's about the passion of ownership
Old 06-Oct-2006, 11:49
Bevel Head

Jools,my friend,I would not take any pleasure in anyone loosing big style on anything.

On your last point,I totally agree with you,99.9 percent of bike riders on here(myself included) don't NEED anything more than a 748 bip,but as you know, need is different to want,and people will always want more,newer,faster etc etc.

The whole point of this thread was of general interest of the new bike.I was amazed to hear (true or not,as people seem to be saying) about the performance,mainly the 40lbs lighter point.

Oh,bye the way.....guess what....I've got a 999 !
Old 06-Oct-2006, 12:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
The japanese approach of new models every time the sun rises is based on planned obsolescence, the neophiliacs just can't resist the latest and greatest.

Think I'm spouting Borrocks, maybe but, try reading page 52 of the 10th June 2006 issue of New scientist. Its a very interesting read and gives an insight into the "throw away" society some claim we live in now.

Whats all this got to do with Ducati, well the marketeers might say the "profile" of Ducati owners is very different to that of UJMs.

Ultimately some claim you are genetically pre disposed to buy the bike you do and/or not want or must have the latest model.

Ray.
Old 06-Oct-2006, 13:07
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
Well in ITALY - I am going to be the DSC journalist aborad!!! :-) lots of rumors as in Uk and the rest of the world..BUT..FACT:

the 999 with Troy won the WSBK...and hopefully this weekend will get at least fifth to assure Ducati the championship - in 07 it will be a 999 again on the track to defend the title.

The 999 prices are not dropping like a stone..even the biker public is waiting Milano news...

A huge difference from the public in 999 appreciation.. Italians like it, not like in UK where - even here on the board - we are still talking of how beautiful and great was the 996 or 998 or 916...

Suggestion for the 999 owners that want to sell their bikes.. take it to Italy!!
Well with euro/pound exchange rate it will not probably be a good deal....

Brogins
Old 06-Oct-2006, 14:05
Bevel Head

just popped to the newsagent for my latest copies of " Carn't stop buying shiny new and faster toys" and " Rumors monthly " and bumped into my old mate Pierre Terblanche from Ducati taking the new 1098 bike for a spin,....couldn't belive it,what luck,he could tell me the low down on the new bike!

He said," It will produce 340 bhp in bip form (410bhp with termi's and new air filters), and it will only weigh 49.5 kilos,cost about £2349.50 (to be confirmed) plus on the road charges, and Ducati will offer 999/749 owners preferential orders and give them full retail money for their trade-ins. Oh, and it looked absolutley fantastic,much better than that old knacker 999.

He asked me what I thought about it, I said, "to be honest Pierre,I'm waiting to see if Honda are bringing out a new big bore c90(rumored to be 105cc,saw some spy shots on the web and read some good figures for it on a forum!),as this was about the level of my riding ability and the new ducati would be lost on me!"
Old 06-Oct-2006, 14:07
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
just popped to the newsagent for my latest copies of " Carn't stop buying shiny new and faster toys" and " Rumors monthly " and bumped into my old mate Pierre Terblanche from Ducati taking the new 1098 bike for a spin,....couldn't belive it,what luck,he could tell me the low down on the new bike!

He said," It will produce 340 bhp in bip form (410bhp with termi's and new air filters), and it will only weigh 49.5 kilos,cost about £2349.50 (to be confirmed) plus on the road charges, and Ducati will offer 999/749 owners preferential orders and give them full retail money for their trade-ins. Oh, and it looked absolutley fantastic,much better than that old knacker 999.

He asked me what I thought about it, I said, "to be honest Pierre,I'm waiting to see if Honda are bringing out a new big bore c90(rumored to be 105cc,saw some spy shots on the web and read some good figures for it on a forum!),as this was about the level of my riding ability and the new ducati would be lost on me!"
Did you get a go on it???
Old 06-Oct-2006, 14:17
Bevel Head

He did offer,but I told him I was in a rush to get back home to watch Trisha and Good Morning. But he did give me a lift back home, my only criticism was there wasn't any storage for my magazines and a grab rail !
Old 06-Oct-2006, 16:24
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Old 06-Oct-2006, 17:13
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
love the idea of that big bore c90, need to find a review somewhere...as for 996's report on the new 1098ish bike, well if I can't fit up a topbox then it's no good for me !