Ducati Sporting Club UK
View Poll Results: looks good or needs a hood
Yes i like it 104 78.79%
No not my cuppa 28 21.21%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-Nov-2006, 21:16
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I enjoy these forums keefy and enjoy a laugh, you enjoy your drink, I`ll finnish my wine and we`ll talk another day.

Sleep well.
Old 10-Nov-2006, 21:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz 748
I like it, and will be booking a test ride in the spring.

if you are selling your 748R then the queue can line up behind me
Old 10-Nov-2006, 21:33
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgbob44
I enjoy these forums keefy and enjoy a laugh, you enjoy your drink, I`ll finnish my wine and we`ll talk another day.

Sleep well.
Yeah,think I'll have another glass of red before bed.
Been a long week and I'm completely knackered,....
night night,..........................
Old 11-Nov-2006, 20:50
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
Thumbs up

Good post / poll Keith.

I love most Ducatis, perhaps I'm very easy to please, even the old bevels and 888 etc. The only two Dukes I'm not fond of are the Paso and the new GT1000. Although I love the Sport Classic / Paul Smart Reps, the GT does nothing for me, it just doesn’t float my boat. The GT reminds me of a Triumph Bonneville, nothing wrong with Bonnevilles, I like them, however if I wanted a Bonnie I'd buy one and not a GT. Maybe Ducati are attempting to fill a British and American niche. Still I suppose Tim Maccabee loves GT's, apparently he attended the 'Dinner & Dance' on one!! Like everyone else, he is entitled to his preference and opinion. I will never knock, slate or gibe a motorcyclist or his or her pride & joy, whether riding a Paso, GT or anything else for that matter, the fact that they’re on two wheels is enough for me, if they ride a Duke that is a bonus and besides his or her pride & joy maybe all they can afford.

I fail to comprehend why there are so many disagreements or differences of opinion over the ‘Best’ Ducati superbike, 916/96/98 v 999 v 1098 debate, perhaps some may say I don‘t have the ‘Ducati Passion‘ however I know I do.

IMHO I love all of them for very different reasons. I recall when I lived in London, riding to Chelsea Bridge most Friday evenings and High Beech or Box Hill on Sundays on my Stan Stephens tuned RD350LC YPVS with a few mates / bikers (usually nutters on Elsie’s who had a penchant for wheeling the length of Chelsea Bridge Road, which in hindsight was probably considerably longer than their life expectancy at the time) admiring and wishing I could afford the sexy new 916.
IMHO the 916 and its successors ooze everything great about Ducati and Italian styling. I love the 999 for different reasons, its angular shape, the box style exhaust, clocks etc, however unlike Derek (749er) and maybe some others I’m not keen on the early heavy cast swingarm and I much prefer the later lightweight black alloy swingarm. My overall preference regarding swingarms is the single sided jobbies and now its alloy on the 1098 even better, a step forward in my book.

Ducati UK have my details for a black mono 1098S, I think it looks awesome, in fact I think all of Ducati superbikes (916/96/98 / 999 / 1098) are awesome.
Although I like some of the ‘Rice Rockets’ most of which are far cheaper and have more BHP than a Ducati, but for me its more than £ for lbs and if that requires an explanation then one wouldn’t understand anyway. IMHO Ducati manufacture the best ’Superbikes’ in the world and possess a racing pedigree second to none.

I’ve held my bike license for 21 years and owned and ridden many bikes. My Multistrada 1000DS although I think are somewhat ugly, rode very well. It is a great all rounder, two up or solo, touring or commuting and no doubt great for trips like Normandy or the ‘Ring’ judging by Paul (Psychlist) and Roy (Dementor) comments. Aesthetics aside, the Numptystrada is certainly one of the best bikes I’ve owned and ridden.

I agree with some here, the new 1098 does appear to be a bit of a mix of its predecessors, but I think it works very well and if the performance statistics are anything to go by, it will ride and handle better than its ancestors. If I were to be extremely critical, I agree with the observations that the dinner plate alloy heat shield is too much, but as someone said previously, I’m sure there’ll be a smaller and lighter carbon fibre replacement available shortly. Lastly, I think the side / prop stand on the 749 / 999 looks great, its a shame this feature was not passed onto the 1098. One last opinion, I think one fairing mouth (Air intake) in the centre like the ‘Sedici’ would look better than two on the 1098, however I still think it looks great.

Ducati like any good company will listen to their consumers (Ducatisti) and watch enthusiast clubs and web sites like ours and others for ideas and input to help produce a product what they think will be popular and we the consumer wants to purchase. I think Ducati has done very well with the 1098 and I’m sure it will sell well.

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELL DONE DUCATI.
Old 11-Nov-2006, 21:21
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Stallion
...Ducati UK have my details for a black mono 1098S, I think it looks awesome, in fact I think all of Ducati superbikes (916/96/98 / 999 / 1098) are awesome....

You utter utter ... bas ... lucky bugger!

The black mono S is the one to have I reckon! I wonder what colour frame it has, black I hope.

Good choice, certainly droolworthy!
Old 11-Nov-2006, 23:39
Ducati Meccanica

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh next week - Not sure if i'll like it without all the duct tape on though
Old 12-Nov-2006, 00:29
Montjuic

Totally agree with your with your musings and observations Italian Stallion. To me the 998 is the best, but I love all the rest including the 749/999 (they still have soul, missing from Jap bikes). The new 1098 is going to be a hit
Old 12-Nov-2006, 10:39
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Wonder how many "Don't like it's" are owners of 999's that are now worth even less than before?
Old 12-Nov-2006, 10:44
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I'm not that keen on it from the photos. It looks a bit bitsa to me - the rear seat seems pure MV and the front end ZX10R/ZX6R. I thought Ducati were leaders when it came to design and style..not followers. :s

It may look better in the flesh though - it needs to be significantly lighter and have better dynamics than a 996/998 series bike before I'll consider it otherwise, it's not going to be offering that much except in shove...which any 748 has more than enough of for road use.

I hope it ain't too user-friendly - I like bikes that demand input.
Old 12-Nov-2006, 13:06
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
There is no doubt in my mind this is the bike the 999 should have been.

I don't care how well the 999 handles, how comfy it is etc etc, it's just plain old ugly to me and always will be.

The 1098, will never replace the 916 series, simply because you cannot replace a classic, however, it is a logical progression and evolution of the original series.

From the brakes to the swinger, the whole bike looks right. Yes, there are some iffy bits, but it won't be long beofre the AM folks have made tasty bits of carbon or titanium to repalce the iffy bits that Ducati have had to fit to get the bike through legislation.

No, it works for me, and I am very seriously considering selling both my 996S and the 996RS to get me one of these babies. Just a shame Ducati UK don't offer a track only option as Crescent do with the GSXR's. After all, I'm never gonna have the thing on the road.

Nope, say what you will, this bike works for me, and I have a sneaking suspicion it will work for a lot of people whether they be Ducatisti or otherwise.