Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jun-2003, 23:34
500SD

Mood: mmmm....yellow!
Need advice about paint lacquer

Just bought a biposto seat unit complete, but it has 996 on the sides, instead of 748 which I need. The seat unit has come at the right money, but I'm wondering if theres any way of removing the 996 decal as its under lacquer by the looks of things. I don't want to put it on with the 996 decals on, cos its not a 996. It would look good with just Ducati on. Its brand new too
Anyone have any tips from the trade?
Old 12-Jun-2003, 07:50
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Only thing you are going to be able to do is to "dig out" the laquer and peel/soak off the old decal, then re-decal and laquer. Quite a big job for what you will gain.

I had a similar problem when I bought an SPS seat unit, so I got my local graphics shop to do me some small vinyl stickers which simply said "NOT A" and stuck them in front of the decal. Not very elegant, but caused a few laughs. I don't take these things too seriously, few too many "Brand" engineers out there!
Old 12-Jun-2003, 19:00
Mille

Mood: tired!!!!!!!!!
Yeti is right you will be looking at a big job for so small stickers.
As what you have to do is use wet and dry and only flat the decal area, and eventually the decal will come through and you will be able to peel it off and hoping it doesn't peel off the basecoat colour. Then you have to put your new decals on and then laquer the decaled area or whole seat unit depending on your painting skills.
Another way would be take it down your local sign writers/decal shop and see if they can match the yellow/red and ask for 748 on it, you might want to try foxy as he does excellent decals.