Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Nov-2009, 04:04
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinashman
Would like to see a more wildly available tyre and limiting power and torque not just engine mods. The weigh issue is a big one, I raced this year at 180kg plus body weight, would be nice to combine rider/bike; however enforcement I see as a very difficult challenge (one for the organisers).

Would also like to see split starts, nothing worse as a class B racer is to be held up by a slower class A who is quicker off the line. No lack of respect meant here but fact is that Class A’s are quicker down the straights, especially frustrating when your split between these bikes

Policing costs money.
Lose as much weight as you can then, off bike and rider.
Racing is racing, don't worry about the classes, just beat the guy in front of you.
oh...and have fun!
Old 15-Nov-2009, 09:20
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinashman
The weigh issue is a big one, I raced this year at 180kg plus body weight, would be nice to combine rider/bike;

So what you are trying to say is that Harriet Ridley has to carry a pillion???
Somehow I can not see that one getting past the ACU

Chris
Old 18-Nov-2009, 21:03
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
[quote=Imola Duke]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna3

That's the Man, He was at Cadwell with another new class B rider Kenoir (Paul).

OAP... Thanks Steve (Not yet but no doubt DD next year will put years on me)!!
Old 26-Nov-2009, 15:43
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
don't want to poke the fire (too much) but I have just come across some pretty negative stuff regarding a certain brand of tyres when looking for some info on the GS..

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206672

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170225

Understand that this could be unsubstantiated internet opinion but if it is true….

Quote:
I spoke to a couple of people in the trade regarding these and apparently the sports touring tyres are getting very good feedback from customers.
Quote:
However, the full blown sports tyres have been causing problems. Both dealers have had a number of pairs returned with the same fault. When the tyres heat up the tread appears to lift away from the carcass of the tyre as if delaminating.
The tyres are fine when they cool back down again and there haven't been any total failures.
The official explaination is that air has become trapped in between the tread and carcass during production and that it isn't really a problem.
Still don't think I would bother.

Old 26-Nov-2009, 16:30
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Not really helpfull at all, Ian. I clicked one of the links you provided and there as many positve comments about that particular brand of tyre as there are negative. So what are we to read into this?

The decision as to the make/model of tyre to be used in DD in 2010 will, I;m sure, be made without consideration to opinions on random message boards.

I dont see any value whatsoever in poking this metaphorical fire any more than it has been already. It seems to have been enflamed already to the point that riders would rather leave DD - which is to the detriment of the series and the DSC, not too mention the paddock friendships being split apart.

Last edited by JasonBoswell : 26-Nov-2009 at 20:10.
Old 26-Nov-2009, 17:11
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
don't want to poke the fire (too much) but I have just come across some pretty negative stuff regarding a certain brand of tyres when looking for some info on the GS..

Understand that this could be unsubstantiated internet opinion but if it is true….

However, the full blown sports tyres have been causing problems. Both dealers have had a number of pairs returned with the same fault. When the tyres heat up the tread appears to lift away from the carcass of the tyre as if delaminating.
The tyres are fine when they cool back down again and there haven't been any total failures.
The official explaination is that air has become trapped in between the tread and carcass during production and that it isn't really a problem.

Sounds like a load of hot air to me

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 26-Nov-2009, 18:25
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian

interesting post
but as you are not a dsc member let alone not ever raced in the dd series and to the best of my knowledge you havent raced at all i dont think that the post is at all helpful and you are just blowing smoke ***

totally agree with jasons comments as he is a racer and also is an impartial fella.
Old 27-Nov-2009, 01:45
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
As a new member, and owner of a DD class B bike now just a few thoughts on tyres. Please feel free to comment/ignore.

I know you have been using the pirreli option for a number of years, nowt wrong with that. The talk is of a new spec for next year.

Their have been a number of points raised:

Are any proposed tyre suitable - manufacturers market and produce tyres for specific use. CE marking etc. I am sure a motocross tyre would not be proposed by any manufacturer, but could be fun though!

Any new tyres would take getting used to - good for your riding skill? more of a level playing field for existing and new DD riders?

Cost - racing is NOT cheap, no matter what class.

Personal preference - is this just clever marketing? You have used brand B and have heard stories abut brand C that arent good, or vice versa. How many DD riders take a tyre to its perfomace limit? I have no idea, but one tyre for all does make skill/b*lls a telling factor.

Anyway, looking forward to a new season in a new class.

Cranker

Last edited by Cranker V2 : 27-Nov-2009 at 03:23.
Old 27-Nov-2009, 06:58
Big Twin

Another thing about the tyre issue is, if like me you have already bought 2 sets of diablo's for next year and if these are going to be replaced with a different tyre then that's a big £320 out of pocket before even turning a wheel.

If a new tyre is introduced could it not run along side existing diablo's ?

Last edited by dunlop0_1 : 27-Nov-2009 at 15:40.
Old 27-Nov-2009, 07:52
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Guys,

The whole question of tyres is the last thing to be resolved for 2010.

Let us be clear that riders will be able to use up Diablos next year they will not be ruled out of the series.

Now as to the position of supply of Diablos, a possible replacement from Pirelli, etc that is close to a resolution. We are however reliant on others to supply conformation of the exact situation, before we can make any announcements.

Be confident that the tyre used by Desmo Due will be suitable, fit for purpose, etc. I can also confirm that there is no chance that you will be racing on an Avon Speedmaster/Safety Mileage combination - the correct sizes are not available!

Chris