Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 19-Jan-2011, 12:36
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
At the end of the day, I'm there to do as well as I can. I did that last year, and next year will be the same. I have fun out there, and my non-finishes at Mallory and Pembrey didn't cause me to spit any dummies... Im pretty laid back, and realize it isn't the end of the world. However, if someone else caused me to qualify at the back due to a silly mistake that resulted in a coming together, then I know I'd be more than a bit annoyed... And I don't think there are many people that wouldn't. We are all competetive or we would not be racing, and if it knocks me from 3rd to last or 10th to last makes no difference. Im honest enough to know right now that if it happened it would annoy me. However, that same incident would be laughed off as just one of those things if the consequences were not quite so disasterous. Why introduce a rule that could potentially lead to bad feeling? This puts more consequence on a silly mistake, so the rule would be making things more serious than a normal laid back Fastest Lap style Qualifying.

By the way, I'll happily go with whatever is decided. I just thought it was worth thinking about the potential fall out of the rule and ironing out the problems now.

So, I vote for a qually race, using your fastest lap.

Count me in on that Ron.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 12:48
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Suppose I tend to lean towards Ron's idea of fastest lap during the race used to give grid positions.

It would never be a 'nothing' race anyway as I don't recall anyone saying 'after you' in any of last year's Allcomers tussles!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 19-Jan-2011, 14:09
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72
It would never be a 'nothing' race anyway as I don't recall anyone saying 'after you' in any of last year's Allcomers tussles!
Exactly... You will want to get past people so you can pull away and set a faster time.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 21:07
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

In two of the four rounds I did last season, I had two big time crashes in the Allcomers that meant I sat out the rest of the weekend... so:

a) non-points scoring races are still races - when those lights go out there are no half-measures, and
b) if you really do intend to win the championship then don't go racing in any non-points scoring races...

Does that help?????
Old 19-Jan-2011, 21:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxCorp
After my grass tracking at Cadwell last year - I'm only going to be paying for a race at a time just in case the same happens again!

Doesn't work like that Graham you have to pay for one meeting at a time be one day/two day/2-races/3-races

as for a qualifier on a fatest lap, who's going to sort out the times into the correct order and what are those that think they have already managed their best lap by half race distance going to do, pull off out of the way, slow down and amble round possibly obstructing other riders best lap or keep racing.

I keep hereing this referenced to as a non championship race, well if it happens it may be non point scoring but as it would set Grid positions for the point scoring race it would be just as important as a time practice and most take that seriously and try to do their best, so much so that you see quite a few push to the front of the que in the collecting area as they try to get out front and find some clear track dispite others arriving at the collecting area ahead of them.

Still we have until late May to debate it

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Jan-2011, 21:45
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Doesn't work like that Graham you have to pay for one meeting at a time be one day/two day/2-races/3-races

as for a qualifier on a fatest lap, who's going to sort out the times into the correct order and what are those that think they have already managed their best lap by half race distance going to do, pull off out of the way, slow down and amble round possibly obstructing other riders best lap or keep racing.

I keep hereing this referenced to as a non championship race, well if it happens it may be non point scoring but as it would set Grid positions for the point scoring race it would be just as important as a time practice and most take that seriously and try to do their best, so much so that you see quite a few push to the front of the que in the collecting area as they try to get out front and find some clear track dispite others arriving at the collecting area ahead of them.

Last year at Cadwell Harriet asked me to let her out as I had been a tad of an obstacle for her earlier. I didn't mind at all, best rear on the grid to follow without question.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 21:54
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

I could name you 2 people in DD whose qualifying technique is to get out first on a clear track and put in their best laps. That is their choice.

I prefer to go out last, and get a couple of easy laps in at the back before picking up my pace and overtaking people.

I'm pretty sure that at least one of the 2 people got pole positions last year, and i'm also pretty sure I managed at least one pole.

Just because someone gets out onto track first does not mean they are either the keenest, or the quickest.

I still prefer either a quickest lap qualifying race or not to use the race for qualifying at all.

But then it's not up to me.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 21:58
Montjuic
Bikes: Tuono Factory - DD #58

Quote:

That's what I meant although I clearly wrote something different!
Old 19-Jan-2011, 22:00
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
[quote=numbskullJust because someone gets out onto track first does not mean they are either the keenest, or the quickest.[/QUOTE]

I prefer first (and do it trackdays too) but only coz I'm so poor at overtaking it slows me down massively; and hopefully dont usually get in others way too much, certainly plan the same again this year

tbh dont care one way or the other...juts want to get mylicense done, test day 20th and crack on with it come the 12th!!
Old 19-Jan-2011, 22:15
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:

why not make those 3 rounds (Cadwell, Oulton and Snetterton) 3 points scoring races and let everyone drop their 3 worst results as another option then?